1982 Suzuki GS850 from United States of America

Summary:

If you ever have the chance to buy a Suzuki GS series, do yourself a favor and do it!

Seat cover starting to rip.

Replaced voltage regulator at 35,000.

General Comments:

I bought this bike brand new in 83 (it was a holdover). Best investment I've EVER made.

It's a great bike; handles like a dream, quick enough on take-off, never tested the top speed because this is a cruiser.

This bike really is bullet-proof, engine still purrs like a kitten, it's got the shaft drive, which is still holding up amazing, quiet as hell, no chain "slap". Basically I just change the oil every spring and make sure she's got gas and she never lets me down.

Never had the engine apart, have never had to change a valve or a piston or rings like some of my buddies with Harleys have had to, I just ride her.

This bike has never let me down, starts every time, runs great, is comfortable on long trips, and really is just a joy to ride!

Review Date: 13th January, 2008

2nd Feb 2011, 21:34

Right on!! I have owned lots of bikes, including a HD Sportster, and I love this bike!! It rides so smooth. Everything works great, and it's 30 years old. Lot's of fun. I've never had it at top speed, wonder what it would do???

25th Aug 2012, 23:46

I liked my first 1982 GS 850. I got a second one, after selling my first one, what a dumb move. I love the bike, it's all good.

19th Jul 2013, 21:32

I had a GS850 when stationed in Colorado Springs in 1986. Hit the throttle on a long straightaway, and at 110 mph and climbing, I got scared and backed out. Loved that bike. Should have never sold it after a small wreck that broke my hand. The new owner fixed the dent in the tank and new forks, and away he went. Good luck with yours.

1982 Suzuki GS850 from United States of America

Summary:

The best bike I have ever owned

Nothing.

I have been restoring minor wear and tear items, but nothing significant.

It was well cared for since 1982 and is now pampered.

General Comments:

Very loyal machine. Big, heavy and fast enough for excitement. Makes long trips a joy.

All the reviews were accurate, it's a long running, low cost cruiser.

At this point, it's old enough to tinker with occasionally, but no heavy repairs are on the horizon.

Other bikes may come and go, but this one will be in my garage forever.

Review Date: 19th January, 2007

1982 Suzuki GS850 from Canada

Summary:

I love mine!

Nothing yet.

General Comments:

I must specify that I own the "G" model as opposed to the "L" model. The G is a standard, whereas the L is a custom.

The GS850G's attributes can be summed-up in one word: balance. Nothing to really brag about, but nothing to criticise.

It is a low tech bike by today's standards, but that doesn't take away its charm. The motor has only two valves per piston. Okay, that isn't up to date with modern bikes, but it makes it utterly bullet proof. The motor is over built, which makes it heavy and reliable. It is one of the most reliable bikes ever built.

At low speeds you've got to treat her with respect, but as soon as you go over 20mph, the bike handles like a dream. Great in twisties, and comfy on the highway, it is a perfect "lets go for a day's ride" type of bike.

The L model is probably not as good in the handling department. I love the G. I could ride it across the continent without a worry. There is something mysteriously satisfying about riding a GS850G. You feel happy, confident, and comfortable. Further more, for the money it costs you to own one, you accept that it isn't a rocket ship, and you focus on having fun. Great bike. I mean GREAT bike.

Review Date: 22nd October, 2006

1982 Suzuki GS850 from United States of America

Summary:

It makes me give thanks to God

Ignitor box.

Headlight.

Final drive.

Seat.

Tac face screw.

Horn button.

General Comments:

Bought new in Japan during my Navy days. All the reviews of the day were positive. They were close, but couldn't know how great a bike the 850 truly is.

At about 7500 miles the pumpkin (?) went bad. Suzuki has an excellent record of driveline reliability so I asked my mechanic what happened. He thought it was due to poor assembly (I had it shipped from Japan and put together by a shop in San Diego that has long since been out of business). Since then it has been trouble free. The ignitor box failed in 1996. A factory replacement set me back about $400, but for as many miles as it has had to endure, and all the years it sat outside, I can't gripe.

The seat pan has rusted itself into two pieces. Sitting in the weather with a ripped seat helped it along.

The horn button broke. The little plastic button itself.

A screw holding the tac face has backed itself out and rolls around the bottom of the instrument face.

Been through a few headlight bulbs over the years. Not unexpected. But the reflective inner lining of the headlight is peeling making the light less effective.

The shim under bucket valve adjustment is not nearly as easy as the adjuster screw set up of my GS700E, but that's about as harsh as I can be concerning maintenance. Newer motorcycles have eclipsed the 850 in every measurable respect, but not one (in my opinion) has put it all together in so satisfying a way.

The 850G may not have flash, blinding speed, or brick wall braking, but it will keep you smiling like a fool long after you SHOULD have stopped riding.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2005

11th Apr 2007, 17:53

I live in Tennessee and bought my 83 Suzuki GL in 1984 with 600 miles on it, and now, in 2007, have 18000 miles on it.

I have taken it to shop only for tires, no maintenance, and have only had to replace the headlight bulb 3 times. It's built like a tank and so reliable, and rides just great. I am 66 and am sure it will outlast me by a long-shot. The only other bike I had that rode this well is the 1956 Triumph Tiger 110 when I was in high school, but the reliability of it was no match for the Suzuki.

I can't bear to part with it, but my wife says I cannot have it buried with me when my time comes.

1982 Suzuki GS850 from United States of America

Summary:

Lots of fun in a safe and reliable package

All the rubber parts have dried or cracked.

Gas gauge is flaky, intermittently quits.

General Comments:

Exellent street cruising bike, but not one I would ride long distance.

At almost 50k miles it still smokes the tire, and stops quick and straight.

The seat is a bit high and firm for my taste, but it's generally a good sport/touring combination.

Review Date: 1st July, 2005

11th Oct 2006, 16:54

I was wondering if you know the firing order is? I can't seem to figure it out. Can you help me?

Email me at clintonqqqqq@excite.com