1981 Suzuki GS850G from United Kingdom

Summary:

Still cool, always reliable

Original exhaust rusted because it spent its first ten years outside. Otherwise just normal wear and tear.

General Comments:

I’ve had my GS850 for forty years from new. Bought it at the tender age of 21 and I’m still riding it. I’m still good and fit and so is the bike. As someone else on here says; it’s all the motorcycle you’ll ever need. Fast and powerful with great handling.

I once heard a very smart quote about cars: ‘A car can be fast, reliable and economical, but it can only ever be two of those things’. That’s true of the GS; it’s fast and very reliable, but I have a 4 litre Jaguar XKR that has better fuel economy! About 30mpg if you’re enjoying yourself.

My bike looks as good now as it ever has. She’s ageing gracefully but performs as well as a modern retro styled bike. With the shaft drive it’s virtually maintenance free, so with a little care these bikes are immortal. Apart from fitting a four into one exhaust, mine is standard, which is increasingly rare with the current (passing) fad for chopping them down to be “cafe racers” or “street scramblers”. So cool, so smooth, so buy one!

Review Date: 11th March, 2021

1979 Suzuki GS850G from United Kingdom

Summary:

Cheap cheerful reliable motorcycling like I did in the 1970s and 80s

Nothing really.

Carburettor rubber ring/gaskets hardened and needed replacing two years ago, and the petrol tap rubber perished the year I bought (2007) it and was replaced.

General Comments:

Love this bike. Bought for £800 as a runner with M.O.T., I have had to do nothing to it except change the oil and filters every other year. Although almost 40 years old, it happily exceeds 100mph and feels like it would go on to 120, but due to wind resistance and the upright position, is better cruising at 80 mph.

I tend to use it once a month or so for runs on fair weather days on "A" and "B" roads in the valleys and hills of South Wales for about 50-100 mile runs in the 50-80 mph speed range.

Review Date: 24th November, 2018

1982 Suzuki GS850G from United States of America

Summary:

Best machine on the road

Joining gear on rear drive, teeth worn down, had to replace gear for $92.00.

General Comments:

This is by far the most comfortable bike I ever owned, not to mention its reliability. I owned a 1982 GS850G and lost it in a fire. I bought the above Kawi and had it for a year.

I was unhappy with its physical size and found the 82 Suzi online. I traded the Kawi (a 95) for the 82 and have been riding it for over 7 years.

The 5.8 gallon tank is a great asset. I get 45-49 MPG. The biggest thing to do is change the oil and adjust the valves every 4K. Do this and you will ride forever.

I doubt I will ever sell this bike. Why would I, it's been trouble free since I've owned it. Best machine on the road. It will always get you home...

Review Date: 6th November, 2016

13th Nov 2016, 22:43

Totally agree, best machine to be harnessed by man... I had a clean 79 one that I eventually turned into a café racer... twas my best friend until she was stolen from outside my apartment... but please don't fret, I'm actually back in the market for another... maybe keep it original or maybe a bobber conversion.

Anyway, safe riding to you and you friends... greetings from Ireland.

1979 Suzuki GS850G from Canada

Summary:

Great old Geezer!

General Comments:

Bought the bike from the original owner's wife in the summer of 2014. It had been sitting in a garage under a tarp, on the centre stand for 25 years. It wasn't seized. The paint and seat were mint. The tires were surprisingly good.

Rebuilt the carbs, forks, calipers, master cylinders, new points and condensers, new plugs, lots of other little things, lots of elbow grease.

This summer I've finally got it running well after replacing the rings and gaskets and honing the cylinders, which were pretty glazed. I love this bike! I was 18 years old when it was built. I need to replace the original exhaust soon, but overall it's been a great restoration project. Bought it for $500.00, put about $1000.00 into it in new parts. I ride along and grin at those guys who spend $20,000.00 on their Harley's which everyone and their grandmother has. Not too many good old Geezers out there. I'm going to enjoy mine for a long time, God willing!

Review Date: 11th June, 2016