1993 Suzuki GSX1100G from United States of America

Summary:

A great looking and extremely dangerous bike, especially at first

Nothing has GONE wrong with it. It had minor problems when I bought it. I fixed the wheel bearings and the carbs, as well as giving it a major tuneup, including setting the valves (which required no parts!). I still need to fix the fork seals.

General Comments:

It's big - too tall and too heavy. It's cold-natured; warms up slowly. It tends to foul the carbs, because the pilot jets are tiny (Shell premium gas keeps the crabs clean and functioning well). It's 20 years old, as well - getting parts can be a challenge. It sucks fuel, like there's no tomorrow. I own a car that gets better mileage, by far.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, this bike is grand!

The rake (front fork angle) is extreme. Time is required to become accustomed to riding the "Z" (as they are called). That time is not too pleasant! It drives like a California chopper, but not quite as extreme as that. Ah, but once you get used to it, there is no better ride. The wind will not buffet it. The bike is more stable, the faster it goes.

There will be no need to do anything to it. It works really fine, just like it is. I sure as hell don't need more power from it! If you drink heavily or are uncool on 2 wheels, you should choose another bike, 'cause this one will hurt you... probably while riding it before becoming familiar with it.

She has the power and the weight to put that power on the ground, without wheelies or burning rubber. It will do both, but you will have to do those things on purpose. The bike is steady and solid as a big rock, with no surprises.

This is a highway machine - born and bred, for the hammer lane. Around town its 600 pound + weight and the rake make it less than optimal. The awesome power makes it deadly in the rain - especially when going over railroad tracks, etc. It's really easy to spin the back tire on the slick!

This bike is not for beginners or fools. I hated it, until I had it a month. It scared the living crap out of me on several occasions! But it didn't hurt me - LOL - just warned me.

Now I love the big brute. And it is a brute. Ah, but the power that motor makes can be used to make up for the sophistication it lacks :)

There is a group on Yahoo that has some invaluable information on this bike. Sadly, the people in there are a clique and "not too friendly..." I would just go there and read the information... For my part, put the stock tires on it. It is old, and not designed for the latest crop of tires.

Is this the bike for you? Probably not. You will need to be an adult, patient and wanting a highway cruiser... and a mechanic as well, due to the age of these machines.

Review Date: 31st December, 2012

1993 Suzuki GSX1100G from United States of America

Summary:

Almost 20 years and still goin' strong

I had to replace a clutch gizmo (easy operation), the gas shut off valve dial fell off (found another on Ebay), and I had the carburators rebuilt at about 10,000 miles. I had both fork seals blow within a few years of purchasing the bike.

General Comments:

This bike is scary fast. On the go, it's light as a feather, but on the slow, its weight becomes apparent. Watch for oil spots at intersections. If you lay the GSX 1100G down, you may blow a gasket getting it back up.

The GSX is oil cooled, and it holds more oil than a V-8. The bike is COLD blooded. Here in Washington State, it takes a long time to warm up on spring and fall mornings. I'll take it into town, run into the store for 20 minutes. I'll have to choke and idle for three or four minutes before I take it back on the road.

Mine is all flat primer with the side panels off... Looks like something from the Road Warrior. My high school students all want it.

Review Date: 12th August, 2012

2nd Oct 2012, 10:37

Can you post pics of your bike?