2000 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United Kingdom

Good reliable bike

General Comments:

I have a 1976 Triumph T140, which is off the road at the moment. Bought this Suzuki only a week ago to get me to a bike rally in Scotland, a round trip of over a thousand miles. Bought it from a dealer, serviced and MOTed, had 1 day to get used to her and off we went to Scotland. Stopped off every 90 miles or so for fuel, never went into reserve once, mostly motorway riding averaging 70 mph, never once skipped a beat. Handled very well on the ride out on the winding Scottish roads. It's a bit noisy in the lower gears, but once in top it's great; plenty of power there if you need it and comfortable to ride. A very lightweight bike, easy to ride, ideal for smaller dudes like me being 5'6".

Review Date: 30th August, 2016

1996 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United States of America

Good for beginners or city drivers

This size of bike is really meant to be driven around town and not on extended highway trips. The drawbacks are the overall weight of the bike and maintenance issues. In cold weather or heavy rain, I would have a hard time starting it up. The bike stalled on me in traffic in a heavy rain. I also had a problem with an oil leak. The bolts on the head were stripped and it was never properly repaired. Because of its age, and the fact I did more highway driving than city driving, I had to trade it in and purchased a Yamaha V Star 1100.

General Comments:

This was my second Suzuki. My first was a 2009 Suzuki GZ250. I bought the 650 as a step up. I like the bike's handling and low seat height. I live in the mountains, and "The Banana" as my bike was called loved the curves.

Review Date: 28th May, 2016

2002 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United States of America

Very good bike for local back road highway riding

Battery box lid lock come loose and fell off.

Throttle cable was sticking - fixed it.

No other problems.

General Comments:

Great bike. Handles good, real good for curve roads.

Light bike, looks good. I've done some modifications and put some half running boards on the front pegs. Put a windshield on it and show light and fog lights.

It's a good running bike. It does backfire at times, but I have heard that is normal for the Savage 650.

It is not the most comfortable ride; got to stop more often, but it handles real well.

I like the bike; it's good for just me, and to tool around the back roads. I plan to keep the bike, but will get a bigger bike for the wife and me to travel on now if I can talk the wife into it.

Overall the Savage is a great bike. Not the fastest, but a good bike.

Review Date: 27th April, 2016

1998 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United States of America

Great bike for any age, as I bought it when I was 60 and am now 76

None, only batteries and tire wear, along with dust boots.

General Comments:

I love the styling and the color (orange).

Very comfortable as the seat is low. Good bike for all around casual riding. Best on the two lane roads.

Easy to clean and maintain. I do all my own servicing.

Review Date: 12th January, 2015

1993 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United Kingdom

Fun! Fun! Fun!

Seal in fuel vacuum pump failed.

General Comments:

Brings a smile to your face, every trip, short or long!

However, after about 100 miles you need a break, which funnily enough fits in well with when you need to fill up the tank.

A single cylinder 650cc engine that fits in with the 33bhp rules for new riders in the UK; who would believe it!!

I thought it would be a rougher ride than it is, you do feel a bit of vibration through the foot pegs and grips, but it's not uncomfortable, just a little buzzy at times.

The well documented backfire on deceleration or shut down is sometimes there, but not always, although mine seems to randomly pop now and then, but it's not too bad.

For a 1993 bike, it's holding up well and looks really good, except the engine cases which have dulled and tarnished, but I'm working that problem, and a bit of elbow grease seems to be doing the trick.

This bike was going to be a stop gap until my 2 year restriction is up, but now I think it might just be a keeper, as it does everything I need it to do, and does it well.

So far I have had it up to the motorway speed limit with loads of power to spare, and as for the twisties!! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Review Date: 29th April, 2012

3rd Mar 2013, 06:29

It's been just short of a year since I wrote the review above, so with a few more thousand miles on the bike, I thought it time to tell the bigger story.

My last report was written about 9 months after I first got my Savage, but due to work required on the bike to get it back to a serviceable standard and a harsh Scottish winter, only about 3 months of Savage experience. So was I right in my first review... well!!!

Yes, generally! Once familiar with the bike and getting a few more miles under the belt so to speak, it is still easy to ride, and comfy enough for short journeys, but yes I do still feel that 100 miles or above does leave you a little numb, and getting off to fill up the tank is a welcome break.

My hubby feels that it is a bit agricultural with that single cylinder lump, but I kinda like it, although I am resisting the urge to ride around on his v twin, just in case I remember what I'm missing.

I do still love the simpleness of this bike and the low maintenance of the belt drive, rather than faffing around with chain oiling all the time like he still has to do!

I have found a fair amount of bling to add to the look, not all specific to the Savage, but generic parts like chrome rear light guard, chrome and rubber front fender extender, chrome fork nut caps, and other generally shiny bits that add to the look.

I spent a lot of time last summer polishing up the forks and engine casings, and that's worked really well.

I spent a small fortune at MOT time last year, including a new rear tyre, new fork seals and new head bearings, but the bike had sat idle for about 6 years before I bought it, so hopefully this year it will sail through the MOT.

What's missing?

Well a trip meter would be a godsend, and I don't really like the slide along indicator switch; newer bikes with the push in to cancel are just far easier and safer I think.

So is it still fun, fun, fun?

My restriction has been up now for about 9 months, and although some of that has been during the motorcycling off season, it was only really November that the bike was totally off the road.

The new biking season is just around the corner and I have no inclination to sell this bike, so I guess it is, I am looking forward to some more fun, fun, fun!