2001 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United States of America

Summary:

Fantastic down to earth old school motorcycle

Nothing.

General Comments:

I just bought this when I met my soon to be wife. We had no problem riding around 50 to 100 miles at a time. She had never been on a motorcycle before. It was easy for her to get on and off while she learned how to ride behind me. The whole experience led us to having a motorcycle wedding and traveling from upstate NY to TNN for our honeymoon.

Review Date: 15th November, 2016

19th Apr 2017, 07:01

They do have faults; the poor cam chain tensioner set up inside the clutch cover is the main engine fault; when this goes it causes a lot of damage to the valves and head at least. Also the big end and crank pin wear quite fast like most big singles do.

2000 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United Kingdom

Summary:

Good reliable bike

General Comments:

I have a 1976 Triumph T140, which is off the road at the moment. Bought this Suzuki only a week ago to get me to a bike rally in Scotland, a round trip of over a thousand miles. Bought it from a dealer, serviced and MOTed, had 1 day to get used to her and off we went to Scotland. Stopped off every 90 miles or so for fuel, never went into reserve once, mostly motorway riding averaging 70 mph, never once skipped a beat. Handled very well on the ride out on the winding Scottish roads. It's a bit noisy in the lower gears, but once in top it's great; plenty of power there if you need it and comfortable to ride. A very lightweight bike, easy to ride, ideal for smaller dudes like me being 5'6".

Review Date: 30th August, 2016

1996 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United States of America

Summary:

Good for beginners or city drivers

This size of bike is really meant to be driven around town and not on extended highway trips. The drawbacks are the overall weight of the bike and maintenance issues. In cold weather or heavy rain, I would have a hard time starting it up. The bike stalled on me in traffic in a heavy rain. I also had a problem with an oil leak. The bolts on the head were stripped and it was never properly repaired. Because of its age, and the fact I did more highway driving than city driving, I had to trade it in and purchased a Yamaha V Star 1100.

General Comments:

This was my second Suzuki. My first was a 2009 Suzuki GZ250. I bought the 650 as a step up. I like the bike's handling and low seat height. I live in the mountains, and "The Banana" as my bike was called loved the curves.

Review Date: 28th May, 2016

2002 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United States of America

Summary:

Very good bike for local back road highway riding

Battery box lid lock come loose and fell off.

Throttle cable was sticking - fixed it.

No other problems.

General Comments:

Great bike. Handles good, real good for curve roads.

Light bike, looks good. I've done some modifications and put some half running boards on the front pegs. Put a windshield on it and show light and fog lights.

It's a good running bike. It does backfire at times, but I have heard that is normal for the Savage 650.

It is not the most comfortable ride; got to stop more often, but it handles real well.

I like the bike; it's good for just me, and to tool around the back roads. I plan to keep the bike, but will get a bigger bike for the wife and me to travel on now if I can talk the wife into it.

Overall the Savage is a great bike. Not the fastest, but a good bike.

Review Date: 27th April, 2016

1998 Suzuki LS 650 Savage from United States of America

Summary:

Great bike for any age, as I bought it when I was 60 and am now 76

None, only batteries and tire wear, along with dust boots.

General Comments:

I love the styling and the color (orange).

Very comfortable as the seat is low. Good bike for all around casual riding. Best on the two lane roads.

Easy to clean and maintain. I do all my own servicing.

Review Date: 12th January, 2015