1993 Yamaha FZR1000 from United States of America

Bestest, funnest, fastest bike I've ever ridden or owned!!!

My FZR1000 was a rescue bike. When I purchased it in 2014, it had been sitting in the warehouse I picked it up at since around 2000. The bike had obviously been neglected in the warehouse, but I learned during its restoration that it had been taken care of pretty well prior to its arrival at the warehouse. Once the dirt and dust was removed and all the routine maintenance was performed, the bike has not given me any trouble.

General Comments:

The FZR1000 is the best bike I've ever ridden or owned. It pulls like a rocket. The 0-4 thousand RPM range is very quick. In the 4-7 thousand RPM range it REALLY gets going. In the 7-11.5 thousand RPM range this thing is MOVING! Quick glances at the tachometer are the only time I take my eyes off the road.

It's the father of modern sportbikes. You have to be familiar with what came before it and it eclipsed to really appreciate it. The FZR1000 was a pioneer with its twin spar frame and stressed member cantilevered engine, servo controlled exhaust valve (4T), down draft carburetors and inverted forks. The Fireblade may have come along and revolutionized weight savings, but the designer of the Fireblade, Tadao Baba, acquired and used an FZR1000 as a performance benchmark. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Review Date: 15th April, 2015

1995 Yamaha FZR1000 from Australia

Superb bike, and hugely underrated

Front fork seals leaked after being left not ridden for one year.

Battery changed twice. Although the last battery prematurely failed due to a faulty charger overcharging it. Still not bad for 15 years.

Clutch seal leaks if left unused for any long period of time.

EXUP valve seized, required removal and grease to fix. Use only good quality high temp copper based grease.

General Comments:

Very fast bike.

I owned the 91 EXUP and traded it in for a new 95 model.

The 91 model went harder, but was more peaky and was modified. The 95 had smooth almost linear acceleration through the rev range. Linear, but it really pulls like a train. Watch out in the wet or if you have harder compound tires.

Easy to power slide out of corners, but stable in doing so.

Brakes tend to go from oh wow to nothing special after a year or so, as opposed to brake fade.

Review Date: 24th December, 2010

1987 Yamaha FZR1000 from United Kingdom

As with all bikes of this age, paint deterioration and plastics damage is normal, and parts seize (nuts etc).

The 1000 I got a few months back had been left sitting in a garden for nearly a year; cost £350, plus £20 for him to drop off.

Did all the usual checks; re bled the brakes, renewed the clutch, slave gaskets and the pads front and rear, and all the master cylinder gaskets as normal, due to the length of time standing. Checked everything, new Pirellis front and back.

The electrics have caused a few problems, but I've sorted them now, so everything works as it should. A good clean up and degrease, and it's looking good, but the body will need sorting.

Parts are easy enough to get, but some are very expensive.

It's got 33k on the clock, but I don't think it's been looked after well in the last few years.

Bit lumpy on start up, but OK when warm... carbs.

I think the exhaust is a stainless aftermarket, which is a good thing; the originals do tend to rot at the joints. If you've got the EXUP version with the power valve, then you're buggered; you could buy a small car for the price Yamaha charge for replacement body work. Certain other metal parts needed de-rusting and powder coating, but other than that, all OK.

But that's why I got it; I'm a sucker for these old bikes I think, and it must be my age, that they're far easier and more comfortable to ride than those more modern bikes, where you seem to sit right on top. I'm 5 10 and it's so nice to ride.

As with any older machine, care and regular checks and servicing will keep it going on and on and on.

General Comments:

Easy to turn and goes where you point it.

The standard front brakes are OK, but this ones got 6 pots from a later model on, so stops very quick.

Good riding position...

Better than these more modern bikes where you seem to sit right on top.. if that makes sense... And all your weight is on your wrists.

A lot of these that are about now seem to have been converted to a more upright riding position with straighter bars, but I don't find the normal position a problem.

Review Date: 24th May, 2010