1995 Yamaha FZR1000 from Australia

Summary:

Superb bike, and hugely underrated

Front fork seals leaked after being left not ridden for one year.

Battery changed twice. Although the last battery prematurely failed due to a faulty charger overcharging it. Still not bad for 15 years.

Clutch seal leaks if left unused for any long period of time.

EXUP valve seized, required removal and grease to fix. Use only good quality high temp copper based grease.

General Comments:

Very fast bike.

I owned the 91 EXUP and traded it in for a new 95 model.

The 91 model went harder, but was more peaky and was modified. The 95 had smooth almost linear acceleration through the rev range. Linear, but it really pulls like a train. Watch out in the wet or if you have harder compound tires.

Easy to power slide out of corners, but stable in doing so.

Brakes tend to go from oh wow to nothing special after a year or so, as opposed to brake fade.

Review Date: 24th December, 2010

1987 Yamaha FZR1000 from United Kingdom

As with all bikes of this age, paint deterioration and plastics damage is normal, and parts seize (nuts etc).

The 1000 I got a few months back had been left sitting in a garden for nearly a year; cost £350, plus £20 for him to drop off.

Did all the usual checks; re bled the brakes, renewed the clutch, slave gaskets and the pads front and rear, and all the master cylinder gaskets as normal, due to the length of time standing. Checked everything, new Pirellis front and back.

The electrics have caused a few problems, but I've sorted them now, so everything works as it should. A good clean up and degrease, and it's looking good, but the body will need sorting.

Parts are easy enough to get, but some are very expensive.

It's got 33k on the clock, but I don't think it's been looked after well in the last few years.

Bit lumpy on start up, but OK when warm... carbs.

I think the exhaust is a stainless aftermarket, which is a good thing; the originals do tend to rot at the joints. If you've got the EXUP version with the power valve, then you're buggered; you could buy a small car for the price Yamaha charge for replacement body work. Certain other metal parts needed de-rusting and powder coating, but other than that, all OK.

But that's why I got it; I'm a sucker for these old bikes I think, and it must be my age, that they're far easier and more comfortable to ride than those more modern bikes, where you seem to sit right on top. I'm 5 10 and it's so nice to ride.

As with any older machine, care and regular checks and servicing will keep it going on and on and on.

General Comments:

Easy to turn and goes where you point it.

The standard front brakes are OK, but this ones got 6 pots from a later model on, so stops very quick.

Good riding position...

Better than these more modern bikes where you seem to sit right on top.. if that makes sense... And all your weight is on your wrists.

A lot of these that are about now seem to have been converted to a more upright riding position with straighter bars, but I don't find the normal position a problem.

Review Date: 24th May, 2010

1994 Yamaha FZR1000 from United States of America

Summary:

SWEET, fast and fun to ride

Nothing major, just needed a valve adjustment and a few new pieces of bodywork.

General Comments:

This is a very sweet ride. I'm 49 years old and have owned many bikes in my lifetime. The 1000 is one of the finest bikes I've owned.

Its brakes are outstanding for a heavy motorcycle. The brakes have excellent feel.

The power is good, and this motorcycle has plenty of top end speed.

I ride this machine all the time. I take long trips every year on this bike. It has never broken down on me, and I trust this bike with my life. It goes, it stops. This is a far better long distance bike than my R-1.

Review Date: 24th December, 2007