2000 Yamaha V-Star Classic 650 Reviews

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2010

Summary:

This is a very good bike, but be prepared to go bigger, because you will almost immediately want to

Front rider lamp is out, but the blinker still works.

General Comments:

First of all, this is my first bike, and overall I am pleased with what I have. It's not without flaws, but for a 10 year old bike, I'd say that it's quite reliable. The previous owner had absolutely no trouble with it.

Pros - Great bike for a beginner or someone who is vertically challenged. I am 5-10, 230, and while I do kind of feel like I'm a little big for the bike, it accelerates and handles well. She came with Cobra Slashdowns, so I was immediately in love with the sound.

This bike has gonads. It's a head turner, too. I'm always getting strangers that walk up to me paying compliments. When cleaned up, the chrome speaks to you. It says something like, "I will blind you if you stare too long."

I have read other posts saying that the clutch is slippery or almost goes out, if not completely, upon release. I haven't had that problem. I am teaching my 15 year old how to use the clutch and he hasn't had a problem, other than his own inexperience.

Cons- If you are thinking about buying this bike as a starter, you can do yourself a huge favor by having the ability to go out and get a bigger bike as soon as you're ready. While it has plenty of power for riding in the city, the interstate is going to put the shortcomings of this bike on BLAST!! At about 60mph, you're going to feel the limits of the bike creep in. At 65mph, you're pretty much maxed out. Anything above that, you're in the middle of a vibrating cyclone and you had better take it down a notch, for safety's sake. I would love to ride my bike to work, but it's an hour long ride on I-40. And with traffic flying by at 80mph, it's just not safe.

I already mentioned the front rider light, so enough said. I know it's not called a rider light, but you get the point. Can't think of the name right now.

The tail light assembly is somewhat wide for my taste. To avoid getting one of your rear signal lights knocked off, you should probably go with a shorter aftermarket set, or just a tombstone tail light, if your state will allow it.

I realize that my cons paragraph is much longer than my pros, but let me reassure you that I think this bike is quite exceptional. I would just like more highway power and less vibration.

Review Date: 16th April, 2010

2000 Yamaha V-Star Classic 650 from United States of America

Model year2000
Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2008
Previous motorcycleYamaha XS1100

Summary:

For the money you can't go wrong

No faults really, the gas cap screw came loose and fell in the tank. I took off the tank and retrieved it in a few minutes.

It does suggest that a valve adjustment be done every 4k miles on this bike. That's the only inconvenience I can see.

General Comments:

This motorcycle is exactly what I wanted and needed. My reasons: The cartilage in my knees is gone and its bone rubbing on bone. I found it almost impossible to hold up my XS 1100 because of my knees, the seat height, and the bikes weight. This XVS 650 Classic is only 537 pounds, seat is 27 inches to the ground, (which creates a very good center of gravity) and very easy to handle. I've have owned 8 bikes over the past 36 years, so I'm no expert, but I can feel a good bike when I ride one.

Almost everyone that sees it thinks it's a Harley, and at least an 1100cc. I get 50 miles per gallon, and with gas prices going up everyday that's very helpful. The stylish looks of this bike are fantastic, lots of chrome, very comfortable, and the stock pipes give a low powerful tone, that won't make you deaf after a long or short trip.

I think a sixth gear would improve the gas mileage and maintain a lower rpm. At 70 mph it hums right along. It does vibrate a little at higher RPM's, but what V Twin doesn't? A gel seat pad cures that problem.

It's a cruiser not a crotch rocket! I got it for that reason. Not for the need for speed, but for a nice smooth comfortable ride. And have you seen the price of insurance for a crotch rocket compared to a cruiser. Before you buy a bike look into the insurance first. It'll surprise you!

I'm only 5'9" 180 lbs and this bike would be great for even smaller people to ride.

I couldn't be happier with a bike, than I am with this one. It's got the looks, style, power, and dependability that I was looking for. And let's face it, it won't break the bank on purchasing it either. I plan on a long and happy riding experience with my 650 VStar Classic.

Review Date: 8th June, 2008

18th Oct 2008, 17:31

My 650 would be the perfect bike with a 6 speed transmission. Is there one for it?

22nd Jan 2009, 22:08

I'm not sure they make a sixth gear for this bike. I'd like to know myself. It says 1999, but it's actually a 2000 model (made 11/1999). It's January 2009 and I now have 12,231 miles on it.

I got the CD manual and did my own valve adjustments. Not too bad as long as you're somewhat mechanically inclined.

The rear tire wore out at 12,000, I changed it myself, again not too bad if you have the right tools. (bike jack from pep boys $79, tire spoons/irons from Dennis Kirk online $10, 170/80-15 (Kendra) rear tire also Dennis Kirk for $61, balancer, on ebay for $70) The bike shop charges $255 to buy, change, and balance a tire. So for $220 I got the whole nine yards, and when it needs changing again, all I'll need is the tire.

My son bought a 2003 Vstar 650 custom a few months ago, excellent bike also. Daughter has a 2003 Virago. My bike, still excellent, rides like a dream, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Out of all the bikes I've ever owned - Harley, Honda,or Yamahas, this is the best I've owned so far.