2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic 650 Reviews

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2012

Summary:

The wife is very satisfied

It's the wife's bike, and we've had to give it a few baths.

General Comments:

The bike handles very well.

It has lots of power.

What I liked at time of purchase, was the sound of the "Vance & Hines pipes. It also came with a Silverado windshield, passing lights, engine guard (crash bar), saddle bags, and a passenger backrest.

All that stuff, and the bike for only $4,000.

Review Date: 27th July, 2012

First year of ownership2007
Most recent year of ownership2010

Summary:

A great starter bike that can be modified to no end, I would recommend this bike to anyone

As many have complained before, after just a few hundred miles, I had an idle issue. The bike would not idle on its own, and I had to run it at at least half choke. The throttle would stick, and I could not get it to run right.

General Comments:

I took it to the dealer, and they kept it for 2 weeks, which really irritated me, and still had not looked at it. I finally got it back, and they told me it was sediment build up in the carbs. They cleaned the the carbs and everything ran fine after that. I went as far as posting a negative review on the website (which was deleted) and thought nothing more.

A few weeks later I got an email from a couple in AZ, saying they had the exact same problem and the dealer gave them the same diagnosis. I have no idea how these people were able to contact me, but I'm glad they did. After I got the bike back, I have had no problems in the last 6000 miles. Other than maintenance items being changed, the bike has been fine.

I have modified the bike, lowered the rear 4 inches, added 2 1/2 inch fork extensions, modified the seat, modified the exhaust, installed a Gonzo Air Kit, re-jetted the carbs, and a few other things.

I have taken the bike on road trips, long and short, and have never been let down. It has a very rough break in period from what I gather from other people and my past experience. However, I wouldn't trade it for anything else. You have to give it the get up and go, it takes a few mods to get it going strong.

What a lot of the owners don't realize upon purchase is that these are high revving bikes, they think it doesn't want to go over 60 - 65 mph on the highway. I have run mine through 60 mph in 3rd gear, the fastest I have ever pushed it was in the high 90's. It screams on the highway at about 6000 rpm, which is normal.

Review Date: 5th October, 2010

7th Mar 2013, 09:03

Wondering how you found the fork extension? Did it affect your ride much? Thinking of doing 2" on my Custom, but bit worried because I have lots of bumps on my road.

Safe riding.

First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2008
Previous motorcyclehonda 175 cc

Summary:

It's a very satisfactory bike overall

Nothing has gone wrong - most reliable.

General Comments:

I have been most pleased with my bike.

I haven't owned a motorcycle for 17 years, and that was a dual sport.

It's been a great ride, and looks pretty sexy to boot. Even after riding my son's Honda VTX 1800, (monster bike!) I very much enjoy gettin' on my scoot and going anywhere I want in style and comfort (and that's important to this 54 year old - and I'm 6'4"/210 lbs.

Overall, I wasn't pleased with the dealerships service dept., but found a small shop that has done a fabulous job with all my scheduled service, at about 1/2 the cost, and my sons also get all their motorcycle work done there, as well.

The only negative I see is that I wish there was on more gear in the transmission.

Review Date: 25th November, 2008

First year of ownership2008
Previous motorcycleTriumph Bonneville

Summary:

Solid smaller CC bike with great looks and rideability

The only problem I have noticed is an insistent high pitched rattle coming from left side of engine at speeds from 55mph and above. This can be very annoying. I just dropped it off for its break-in service and I will see if the noise has been resolved.

General Comments:

The bike is exactly what I was looking for. Great ride and rider comfort. The bike has a very solid feel.

The handling is very good, but be careful with really getting low in the corners, it will drag the running boards. Just remember, it's not a sport bike and you'll be fine.

The power and feel of the engine performance is very reminiscent of the the old British twins I grew up with. Not a power house, but very responsive. I do wish it had one more gear. This would make higher speed highway cruising less hand numbing.

Very important to my reason for purchase was MPG. After break-in mileage, it comes in around 45MPG city and 51MPG highway. Great!!!

Review Date: 10th June, 2008