1989 Yamaha XV750 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

Great motorcycle, very reliable

Had trouble missing, running on one cylinder, fouling rear plug. After cleaning the carburetor twice, testing the coils, changing spark plugs dozens of times, it was the Plug Cap (yes the end of the rear spark plug wire). It wasn't allowing enough juice to the plug - a $4.50 item. No other problems.

General Comments:

The Virago handles beautifully. In the saddle after two hours, butt is hurting. Bought an Air hawk cushion - fits great and feels fine for many hour trip.

Review Date: 27th May, 2007

28th May 2008, 09:53

Thanks for the cushion tip.

24th Apr 2011, 23:24

Thanks for the tip of the plug cap. My bike has the same problem, and I'm going to change the cap ASAP!!!

1996 Yamaha XV750 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

Absolutely reliable cruiser or tourer

Wheels have some corrosion issues.

General Comments:

Handling is a bit truck like, but fine for cruising.

After market seat solved the comfort problem.

Original seat tends to push you into the tank.

Highway speeds are comfortably maintained.

Bulletproof.

Reliability is never a concern.

Review Date: 27th October, 2006

1991 Yamaha XV750 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

The XV750 is a wonderful motorcycle

The only thing that ever went wrong with my XV750 was the stator, which I diagnosed and repaired myself. Other than that it was a trouble free motorcycle. I should point out that the stator started showing symptoms before it ever left me stranded, cool.

The Virago seat was awful. On a short hop it was fine. For all day riding it was torture, pure torture.

General Comments:

Other than my current bike, this might have been the best bike I ever owned. I loved the XV750 Virago. My bike had the Cobra drag pipes and I thought it was awesome. Perhaps the longest trip I ever took (in terms of consecutive days on the road) was on the Virago. I have nothing but fond memories. Yes, the stock seat caused some moments of pain, but the experience was so good it far outweighed the sore butt.

If I had it to do over I would have preferred the XV1100 for interstate driving. The 750 seems like it's screaming at the higher ranges of interstate speed. However, both the 750 and the 1100 are exactly the same physical size. The power of the 750 is however, adequate for touring.

As part of my long trip I rode the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. The XV750 was the perfect mount for that trip. It was in it's element climbing and carving the curvy mountain roads. The Yamaha V-twin has a great power band and a nice exhaust note.

Review Date: 29th December, 2005