1995 Yamaha XV750 Virago from Australia

Summary:

It does everything I need quite well and economically

Front fork seals.

Voltage regulator.

Indicator switch.

General Comments:

This bike has served me well.

Like others, the stock seat was changed. I opted for a Saddleman cover on the original seat pan. Still not satisfied, I added an Air Hawk 2, and comfort for touring is now a non issue.

I fitted a 9 litre tour tank on rear carrier to improve fuel range; now achieving 370 Km fuel range.

I ride in a group most with much larger bike and have no trouble riding with them at highway speeds and above.

I find tight twisty roads on the Virago are not its strong point, however taken at lower speeds the bike is quite capable.

It is smooth, reliable, has adequate power for my needs, is bit heavy on fuel, but more than makes up for that with low maintenance costs.

Have changed all lighting to LED and the headlamp to HID.

Fitted solid panniers.

I describe it now as a cruising tourer.

Review Date: 26th May, 2015

1991 Yamaha XV750 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

One of the best motorcycles I ever owned

The stator quit and had to be replaced. I did that myself.

The voltage regulator quit. I fixed that myself.

The ignition module started failing and I fixed that myself.

General Comments:

OK, let's get it straight, from seeing the things I had to fix and the marks I gave this motorcycle, you would think it was a bad motorcycle. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I loved the XV750, and it was one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned, period. It's really a toss up between the XV750 and the Suzuki 1400 Intruder as to my favorite motorcycle, so far.

During this time I was riding a whole bunch. That may have something to do with why I loved the Virago so much. I rode it everywhere I went. I even took a week off and hit the road alone on the Virago. It was an awesome time.

I had Cobra drag pipes, a Yamaha line small windshield, engine guards, highway pegs, saddle bags and saddle bag guards.

The Virago delivered good power for a 750 V-twin and sounded really good. The stock seat was comfortable for a while. Near the end of a long day, it became quite painful. I once pulled a 13 hour day in the saddle on that bike. It was pretty brutal.

The suspension was soft. You wouldn't want to try and run down a sport bike on the XV750 unless you have a death wish. But, for normal riding and touring it was great.

I really enjoyed the 750 Virago. I traded it for a 1200 Harley Sportster, and looking back can't say it was a good idea. Many times I wondered what I was thinking when I got rid of the Virago.

Review Date: 1st January, 2012

1982 Yamaha XV750 Virago from Canada

Summary:

Best all-round street bike Yamaha ever made

One time shifter mech went clunky, $2 spring fixed it.

The bike ran flawlessly at all times.

General Comments:

Flawless, smooth, balanced, powerful, good economy, good low center of gravity, modular and logical design, shaft drive, no maintenance, fully adjustable suspension.

This model is the sport bike, not the Harley clones that came out a couple years later.

Best bike I ever had, but I've given it up for safety reasons because of careless car drivers. My last close call scared me so bad I didn't want to drive them anymore.

Review Date: 25th April, 2010

1997 Yamaha XV750 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

I'll never trade this one, just ride it until there's nothing left of it

Nothing -- only replaced battery, tires and spark plugs for routine maintenance.

General Comments:

Best riding motorcycle I've found. Great low center of gravity, quick acceleration and all day comfort.

Review Date: 9th September, 2007

1997 Yamaha XV750 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

Most reliable bike ever, bulletproof

At 25000 miles I had to put on brake pads.

Batteries seems to last quite long; only 1 replacement in 5 years.

Otherwise no issues.

General Comments:

The stock seat is very uncomfortable, sore numb butt after 20-30 minutes, replaced with Mustang seats and made a world of difference, can now ride for hours without problems.

Review Date: 28th May, 2007