2001 Ducati ST2 from United States of America

Summary:

The best, most comfortable and fun 2 valve Ducati you will find when properly setup and maintained

Steering bearings and gas tank leak at hinge seam fixed by the previous owner.

Clutch slave.

Broken clutch push rod from an alternator nut coming loose. Replaced the complete clutch at the same time.

Stator wiring and connector.

Rear wheel bearings.

Voltage regulator.

Right front caliper seized pistons. Calipers not supported at this point in time. Replaced both calipers and discs as well as stainless braided lines. Up to date Brembo 4 piston calipers.

Replaced headlight assembly with Ducati Design assembly.

General Comments:

Had this bike for 11 years now. Came with performance chip, carbon cans, Sargent seat, and higher touring wind screen. Added Ducati Design head lamps and 1 inch 7 degree risers. Pirelli Angel GT tires work very well for me.

At 64 I can still ride as long or far as I want. Comfortable 2 up, forgiving handling, and linear power delivery I have not experienced on any other bike I have owned or ridden. The 2 valve motor in itself has never had a problem, has tons of torque, can go as fast as I care to, and is less dollars to maintain.

Averaging all costs for various repairs and maintenance, I don't find them to be any more or less than other motorcycles.

A lot of people think this is a current model Ducati. It still looks that good.

I love it, my wife loves it, and it always puts a smile on my face.

I'm keeping it.

Review Date: 29th September, 2018

2001 Ducati ST2 from United States of America

Summary:

A well balanced, solid sport tourer

Absolutely nothing.

General Comments:

I have only changed the seat to a US made Corbin (shortened in length, not height) and added 1 inch bar risers with 7 degrees more angle back. I have done consecutive days of 700 mile trips at 53, now at 63 350 miles it's still comfortable. I will never sell this bike, being the old guy riding a classic Ducati around.

Review Date: 27th January, 2017

2003 Ducati ST2 from United Kingdom

Summary:

A classic bike IMHO

Very little has gone wrong with this bike since I've had it.

After a trip to Belgium I gave it a good wash. When I started it up, it wouldn't go above 3000 without cutting out. I guessed it was water somewhere in the tach circuit.

I was right. I took the left hand bottom fairing off and found water had got into the connection between the sensor and the main cable to the ECU. WD40 / cleaned / filled with silicon grease and it's been fine since.

Started running on one shortly after a service at a main dealer two years ago - took it back, but the repair was short lived. Took it to Ducati expert. He swapped the ECU for a second he had. Been fine since.

General Comments:

Look after an ST2 and it will look after you.

I de-grease mine twice a year followed by a plastering of AC15 (winter) and SC1 (summer).

It handles beautifully. I find it forgiving to ride. There is so much power at low revs that going into a bend at too high a gear isn't a problem. Just open the throttle and the torque will do the rest.

The bike was a bit lumpy around town, but I thought this was just how a Duc Twin was meant to be. I didn't like the look of the exhaust so cored it and replaced the outer for carbon. I changed the chip to match an open exhaust. The difference was phenomenal. No more power, but the delivery is now absolutely smooth. It runs through town purring - almost sounds like a single.

Sound is incredible - a big part of owning a Ducati - and the reason why I would never go back to straight four.

Fuel consumption is good (50MPG) The tank will get you 200+ miles.

Not the most comfortable over long distance, but I don't do many 150+ mile days.

Long distance on motorway is OK, but a whole day of clutching gets the left wrist going. My average days are around 70 miles around the Welsh hills where it feels at home.

Power is ample for what I need, but always wonder what the ST4 would be like. Can't bring myself to change though, as the added costs of the extra four valves and lower fuel consumption put me off. I feel the 2 valve design gives the machine some character (grunt) not not many others have. The torque / power balance gives a nice even delivery of power through the throttle spectrum.

Mine is probably one of the last to be manufactured. They had been produced for over 5 years so niggles had been rectified (I hope). Up to now it's been as reliable as the three Hondas I've had.

Review Date: 28th March, 2016