Harley-Davidson Sportster XLH 883 Reviews

Year of manufacture2001
First year of ownership2001
Most recent year of ownership2004
Previous motorcycleYamaha XV750 Virago

Summary:

Great for what it is

The valve rocker covers leaked oil.

General Comments:

This motorcycle was purchased new in 2001. It was a 883 Hugger model that I bought for my wife, but rode frequently. I added forward controls, a windshield and bags. Later I added a stage one kit.

This was actually a very good motorcycle. While my wife had this bike, I had a 1200 Custom that wasn't nearly as good. This little bike worked perfectly the whole time we owned it. It rode better, was more comfortable, and started every time we hit the starter. Sure, it was a tad slow, but it was a good little bike. I actually began to prefer this bike over my 1200 Custom. It was a lot more comfortable to ride.

After a couple of years,the valve/rocker box covers began to leak oil. I replaced the seals and that fixed it. I suppose I could have let Harley do it under warranty, but I didn't want all the hassle of dropping it off at the dealer, getting a ride home, waiting two weeks, getting a ride back, etc.. I fixed it myself in like, an hour.

Overall, the 883 Hugger was a swell motorcycle, and we would still have it if my wife was still riding. I give this bike two thumbs up.

Review Date: 1st January, 2012

1995 Harley-Davidson Sportster XLH 883 from United States of America

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1995
First year of ownership2002
Most recent year of ownership2008
Previous motorcycleSuzuki VS800

Summary:

Great little bike with pep and character

Broke a throttle cable once, used it as an excuse to put on different handle bars (Fat Boy).

Had to replace the battery once in 20,000 miles.

General Comments:

1995 883 Hugger, bought it used from a family member. Absolutely loved this bike. Put a lot of miles on it.

Had 3 seats, really quick to change out.

Small tank, changed out with 3.2 gal, which is still small, but the gas mileage helped a lot.

Popped the slugs out of the pipes, re-jetted the carbs, installed a Screamin' Eagle breather kit/filter. Ran very strong for an 883. I had just put over 40,000 miles on a Suzuki Intruder, so I knew what a good running 800 should feel like.

Bought an 1800 Honda, but kept the Sporty until I sold it to pay for a wedding.

I was never embarrassed to say I rode that Sportster, even if I looked like a gorilla riding a tricycle. It sounded good, looked good, & was VERY reliable for many miles.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for a Sporty!

Review Date: 15th June, 2011

2001 Harley-Davidson Sportster XLH 883 from United States of America

Model year2001
Year of manufacture2001
First year of ownership2001
Most recent year of ownership2006
Previous motorcycleHarley-Davidson Sportster XL 883C

Summary:

Small but a bundle of fun for a not too big person

Leaky rocker box gaskets.

General Comments:

This was the most reliable Harley I have ever owned, and it was my wife's bike. We added HD forward controls and a stage 1 kit. Although small for me, I actually preferred this bike for longer days than my XL custom. The Sportsters from this period had solid mounted engines and vibrate pretty bad. But, the Hugger was better laid out to absorb the vibration than the custom with it's drag bars.

The 883 engine has that nice Harley sound but, lacks real power. But, for a day cruising it is nice. All of the Sportsters are small for a six footer. My wife is 5'4 and the Hugger fit her perfectly. In fact, she loved that bike. We dressed it out with a windshield, highway pegs, engine guards, and saddle bags. It was a great little motorcycle.

Review Date: 14th October, 2009

10th Apr 2010, 19:05

Hi!

I'm also 5'4, 190lbs and looking into a used 883. Although I can't flat-foot, the seat height & mid-control ergonomics are very comfortable. My only concern is the weight of the bike vs. a lighter, Japanese model. I've been riding off-road for 15 years, but never on the street. The 883 would be my first street bike. I don't have a lot of upper body muscle, would I struggle riding it or trying to keep this bike up? Please let me know what you think!!

19th Apr 2013, 08:49

It's okay if you work out a bit.