Honda CB900C Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired27000 kilometres
Most recent distance29000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleSuzuki GZ250

Summary:

I just love this old bike

New tank fitted by the previous owner after the old one rusted out a bit (tank, not owner).

Replaced front discs after the old (original) ones warped a bit, and it felt like full time ABS.

Replaced rear pads and serviced brakes, as they started to get sticky and would jam on from time to time.

Seat has minor tears around the edges, but I haven't gotten around to recovering it yet. I can get a re-pro for about $120, but then I'd lose the Honda on the back of the seat; decisions, decisions!

Chrome parts starting to peel or wear away. Not sure if I should replace them, re-chrome them, or paint them matte black or gunmetal grey.

General Comments:

I think it's a one-of-a-kind in Australia. At least I have not been able to find another '82 here.

I like to describe it as a sports tourer, and as such it is a very quick machine, especially (0-60), and handles very well, considering its size.

Braking could be better for such a heavy bike, but it is 30 years old.

I dreamt of this bike when I was riding about 28 years ago, but then it wasn't available in Australia. Now someone has imported it, converted the speedo to kph (from a CB900F), and I'm the next proud owner.

Would love to hear from any other CB900C owners in Australia, so please email me on cb900c@exemail.com.au.

Review Date: 15th August, 2012

1982 Honda CB900C from United States of America

Model year1982
Year of manufacture1982
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous motorcycleHonda Rebel

Summary:

It's the best time

Nothing has really gone wrong with my bike since buying it and fixing it up.

It had sat a long time, so I replaced the tires, brakes, cleaned brake lines, master cylinder, brake calipers, and fork seals. Mainly all those things just from sitting so long. Not from quality or fault.

Still has a small leak somewhere in the carb (no big deal).

Nothing out of the ordinary. It is a well built machine, and most anything that goes wrong is just routine things that every bike will need.

General Comments:

This is the 2nd 82 CB900C I have had, and I will try to make this one last as long as I can, or get another if it dies. It has been pretty reliable.

It is very fast from 0-60, and has plenty of acceleration from there on up. It has no problem passing on the highway from 60-80 before I even know it. I have never had it much past 85-90 though.

The rev limit is very high, and it has even more power the higher it revs.

I do not think I can get the full capability of fifth gear or using the high range unless I am at 100+.

I do not see the use of using the high range of the 10 speed, other than it seems to improve MPG slightly. I did not get very good MPG on either of the bikes I have had. 33 MPG at best.

This is a heavy bike, but handles really well for its size, however moving it can be difficult. The kickstand is angled a bit high; I really have to watch where I park it.

It is very comfortable to ride, it has a nice wide seat, it does get uncomfortable after a long drive, but I think all bikes are like that.

All in all, I love it. The faults are few and minor. The pros far outweigh them.

Review Date: 13th April, 2012

21st Apr 2012, 01:27

I agree with the above. I too am on my second CB900, this one's an '82 with full fairing. It has less power than my '79 - that was feral, but it would empty the tank in less than 100 miles. I get well over 150 miles to the tank of fuel with this 82.

Very comfortable for long distance and trustworthy - they were developed out of endurance racing.