Honda CB900C Reviews - Page 4 of 6

Year of manufacture1981
First year of ownership2006
Distance when acquired32000 miles

Summary:

Nothing else can keep up

It is cold-blooded, a hard starter, but if run frequently it starts easily.

General Comments:

There is nothing like this bike, nothing. The acceleration is incredible, whether in the lower range or high. I will spend whatever it takes to keep this classic on the road.

Review Date: 15th March, 2009

1980 Honda CB900C from Canada

Model year1980
First year of ownership2007
Distance when acquired23000 kilometres
Most recent distance55500 kilometres

Summary:

It's a classic keeper to the end!

Slight oil leak in the head gasket at 50,000.

Replaced the original seat at 30,000 with a Corbin.

Odometer driver gear failed at 54,000.

Replaced pipes with Jawa 4-4.

General Comments:

The bike continues to perform much better than I thought it would.

The original seat had to go - replaced it with a Corbin custom - at last comfort!

Rear suspension a wee bit soft with a passenger.

Pulls my trailer without difficulty.

Although top heavy, it is a pleasure to handle - just don't let it lean too far when stopped.

To date, I have received numerous offers to sell it - not likely.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2009

16th May 2009, 14:10

We have a 1980 Honda CB900 16,000 miles, excellent condition, what do you suggest we ask for it?

8th Oct 2012, 14:15

If there are no issues, (i.e.: rusty gas tank, dented gas tank, missing/cracked side covers, imperfect turn signals, etc) I wouldn't be afraid to ask $1,500 to $2,000 USD.

First year of ownership1981
Previous motorcycleTriumph Bonneville

Summary:

Superb

Leaky valve cover gasket at 18,000 miles.

General Comments:

Best bike I ever owned, as regards looks, power, comfort, reliability, low maintenance.

Review Date: 1st March, 2009

First year of ownership2007
Previous motorcycleSuzuki GS750L

Summary:

A very fun and enjoyable machine

Front brake calipers seize up during off season.

The dual range shifter is stiff. Hard to use.

The front master cylinder is brittle and leaks.

General Comments:

I bought this bike from an "older" co- worker. He gave me a price I could not refuse.

The bike was in non-running condition when I bought it. It had six years of dust, dirt, and rust built up on it. The first thing I did was, I bought a new battery and spark plugs. Also, a fresh gallon of gas.

The bike finally started. Ran just like a bike would after sitting so long. The carburetors leaked. The bike sounded weak.

So, I bought a gallon of carburetor cleaner. Pulled the carburetors off the bike and headed to my dad's house. Dad and I spent the better part of the day cleaning them.

In the end, it was worth every penny. The bike runs great. We also spent days on end cleaning the bike.

Review Date: 14th February, 2009

1st Mar 2009, 10:45

In 59 years, I've had a bunch of bikes, Harley's, (four), James, Zundapp, Triumph, Honda's, (three) ---- bought my CB900C new in 1981, still have it. It's still in almost new condition. Nothing I've ridden comes close to it in reliability, looks, power, and low maintenance.

A note to the guys who stated their bikes were hard to start after sitting for some time. They probably aren't aware that one of the carbs has an accelerator pump. It's only necessary to twist the throttle handle a few times and then crank the engine with only a small amount of throttle and varoom.

The only things replaced on my bike in 28 years are tires, batteries, plugs, oil filters, and one valve cover gasket. I don't beat on a bike real hard, but when I do kick it in the tail, it's still a rush, and it still smokes the rear tire easily.

Best bike I ever owned, and at my age, my last one.

1982 Honda CB900C from United States of America

Model year1982
Year of manufacture1982
First year of ownership2000
Most recent year of ownership2008
Distance when acquired19500 miles

Summary:

Cool!

Absolutely no problems. This is a great bike! I have, however, just developed a small oil leak around the oil pan, but no worries.

General Comments:

This bike runs really well. I'm currently riding 110 miles back and forth to work, mostly on 4-lane highways. The bike just purrs along, 4500 rpm @ 70 mph. I do think I should get a more comfortable seat for this kind of riding.

The bike has a Vetter Windjammer IV fairing and vented windshield and also a Vetter trunk. It's great for hauling groceries or anything else. The 10-speed transmission and 4 into 4 exhaust make for cool features of the bike. Too bad the previous owner thought to use an SOS pad to clean the exhaust pipes!

My main complaint about this bike is that if you let it sit for more than a week without riding, it is very cold blooded; it turns over fine but does not fire immediately. My mechanic told me that Honda's were known for this and the '82 CB900 was the worst. With it currently being a daily driver, I have no problems starting it.

Review Date: 11th August, 2008

14th Apr 2009, 19:00

About the cold blooded starting. Drain the carburator bowls, then supply fresh gas from the tank. Two ways to do this:

1. Remove the vacuum line adjacent to cylinder 2 insulator, then apply vacuum by other means to refill bowls, replace vacuum line to nipple.

2. Locate vent line for vacuum diaphragm for petcock, it will be on the right side. Apply light air pressure till bowls fill. The bike will start like you just stopped it.

When the fuel sits in the bowls for a few days hydrocarbons evaporate out, and they are what makes the fuel quick burning.