Honda CBR600RR Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2011
Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance8000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleHonda VT250FD

Summary:

The Porsche of the 600 SS class

Slight rattle from front. Went away on its own?

General Comments:

I’ve owned the bike for 1 year so far.

Powertrain -

1st, the obvious… This bike is faaaast. Over 7000 rpm it becomes a monster.

It’s a pleasure for everyday use, because the engines power band and torque is usable in the real world, while not hindering track performance. Unlike Yamaha’s 6 that requires a high ricey rev to take off from a stop, the RR takes off without any hesitation and sounds deeper in stock trim. Furthermore, corner exit is effortless because of the added torque.

The clutch is precise, although I did find it was a bit stiff at first.

The gears shift effortlessly with a nice mechanical, precise feel.

I did have an issue with getting stuck in neutral in the 1st month of owning it. The bike was brand new, and I would sometimes coast to a red light, downshifting without engaging gears. Then when I tried to take off, I couldn’t get it into gear, even when rolling the bike; it would take several tries. This went away with proper downshifting. After the 1st or second service interval, it went away altogether.

Handling –

Handling is where this machine truly outclasses the competition. The brakes are incredibly strong, and provide the great feedback, letting the rider know where the threshold is, and they are fade free.

The stock suspension setup is perfect for everyday use. It’s nice to know it’s fully adjustable, front and rear.

The handling is predictable, sharp and as simple as imagining the line to take.

Very tossable into tight corners.

My bike came with the Dunlop tires. I have to say, in warm weather when they reach temperature, they are excellent tires. They don’t wear too quickly either.

My gripe with these tires, is that when they are cold, they make the bike feel much bigger and heavier. In late fall, cooler weather riding, they are hockey pucks. Take a corner too fast when cold, and you will drift off your line and be forced to make some tough decisions.

Ergonomics.

The seat has excellent padding for a sport bike.

Although comfortable by sport bike standards, it is still a sport bike, and does get tiresome on 6+ hours of non stop riding.

The rear set foot pegs are great for increased ground clearance, but create some leg cramps.

Definitely a great bike. Not for complete noobs, however it is the most forgiving of the 600’s.

Review Date: 14th March, 2011

Most recent year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance4000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleHonda CBR600F4i

Summary:

Top of its class

The oil level did go down in the initial break-in period (from the full level in the oil sight glass to about mid point). But now it hasn't gone down a drop. It's just all the internal components of the engine seating in properly. But just to be safe, keep an eye on the oil level when you buy a new one.

I have done the oil with Honda GN4 oil at 1000kms and 3000kms. I will put in Motul full synthetic at 5000kms. Then change every 5000kms.

I also tightened the chain at 1000kms. Do this since it's a new chain. Then tighten at the intervals suggested by the manufacturer (if needed).

Check your tire pressures weekly / bi-weekly. If my tires are down even a couple of psi, I can notice it, and it does make a difference. I do 40psi rear and 35psi front.

General Comments:

I couldn't wait to get past the engine break-in point of this bike. Once I did... sweet Jeeezus! I can't tell you how painful it is to ride a bike like this slow (below 9000 RPM) for the first 500kms.

For 2009 the CBR600RR got revised mid range power delivery, so it's a little more forgiving if you are not in the right gear when accelerating out of a corner. But once you hit 11,000RPM, the bike really takes off.

The handling is amazing. And it should be since it's the lightest 600cc sport bike on the market today (410 lbs wet). Transitioning from one corner to the next is effortless. I did have to adjust the front suspension tough. The front and rear suspension are fully adjustable. This bike is twice the bike of my F4I.

The stock tires are OK. I will be buying some more aggressive tires when these die at around 8000kms.

The brakes are outstanding. Complete control and confidence. This is the non ABS version. Again, way better then my F4I.

Now you might think that this bike would be uncomfortable, but you would be wrong. This bike is really comfortable for a sport bike, probably just as comfortable as my F4I. I am 5'-8" and 155 lbs. The bike fits me like a glove. My feet are squarely planted on the ground. The seat is soft, not like a piece of cardboard like on some other sport bikes. So it's good on long trips.

There is no point talking about the top speed and acceleration. It's a sport bike.

If you want a reliable, worry free, easily fickable, comfortable 600cc sport bike... get the Honda CBR600RR.

Review Date: 26th June, 2010