2006 Piaggio X9 500 from Canada

Summary:

The X9 500 is a remarkable, enjoyable and safe bike to ride when all is operating perfectly

The idling caused me great grief as it would stall as I came to a stop... it would have to be continually rev-ed to keep it from stalling while waiting for traffic lights to change. THE WORST was when it stalled on the highway! The dealer after many shop time hours, finally replaced the entire unit.

The latch securing the seat to the frame no longer sets, and have had to use bungee cord to hold the seat down when not riding.

General Comments:

All the little caps to protect screw heads around the front were lost within months of ownership, and the cost to replace (if any to be found) was ridiculous.

The battery could be much stronger or heavy duty, since in Canada our spring and fall nights get quite low in temp. and the drain on batteries is considerable.

All in all, though, the purchase of my Piaggio X9 500 is rated as one of the BEST decisions my wife and I have made TOGETHER. She feels safe and comfortable when riding the bike with me, and were it not for our ages of 68 and 63, we would be riding a great deal more!

Review Date: 20th March, 2010

18th Aug 2011, 02:36

I have the Piaggio X9 500sl too. I have the idle problem. Read about the rpm. My rpm is 1200 and when I read on the net, it is recommended to be 1600+/- 50. What is yours?

22nd Aug 2011, 00:46

Can you tell what they replaced to cure the stalling problems at stops??

27th Feb 2012, 02:05

Sorry for the delay. Well, it's just a simple new throttle body, which cost me about Singapore $200. After that, it runs so well. Now, I just bought another used 500 sl, while the first one I gave to my brother in-law. The second one is just great.

2004 Piaggio X9 500 from United States of America

Summary:

Maintenance difficult and expensive

12,000 rear brake broke and almost fell off.

15,000 seat material disintegrated.

16,500 instrument panel died preventing it from starting or doing anything. Headlights still worked, but that was all. The digital instrument panel controls everything else: brake lights, starter, turn signals.

20,000 transmission died completely. Too expensive to repair, and I wrote the whole thing off.

My low marks for dealer service apply only to my local dealer. In four years, they had 5 or 6 different mechanics. Dealer was not "into" scooters; it was only a business.

General Comments:

I liked the ride, the acceleration, the top speed (100mph) and other things.

Didn't like the leg room. I'm 6'-1" and wanted to stretch out more.

Didn't like the rear view mirrors. If you drop the bike, and everyone eventually does this, the mirror assembly is going to break off, no question. $450, or J-B Weld.

With the Piaggio top case installed, it takes 30 minutes of disassembly to get to the battery, tail lights, brake lights, and that's after you've learned how to do it. First time: 1 hour. Without the top case, it is still 25 minutes.

Cannot check the oil level without removing a panel that has one screw and several tabs.

Would you buy another motorcycle from this manufacturer? No

Review Date: 28th May, 2009

2004 Piaggio X9 500 from Greece

Summary:

One of the best mega scooters by far

So far nothing wrong, not even a lamp off.

General Comments:

I bought this motorcycle used with 3350 Km, and from the first test drive, it proved a winner.

Engine roll and handling proved to be top notch.

Braking is awesome, and you have and must use only the left brake handle.

Comfort is another thing, it's not a lie that my wife called it the limo of all mega scooters.

Fuel economy, well I must say with an average 4,5L per 100Km in city driving, it's very good for a 500cc 220Kilos 40Hp bike.

Review Date: 21st November, 2005

2003 Piaggio X9 500 from United Kingdom

Summary:

A reliable workhorse

No faults to date.

General Comments:

The Piaggio X9 500 SL is a great workhorse, I've ridden mine everyday for the past 2 years. A great commuter, a great tourer, and a reliable machine in my view.

I ride mine back and for to work every day, a round trip of 40 miles, and it manages to exceed motorway speeds without any difficulty. The storage room is very good and augmented by the cavernous top box.

I've taken it on long distance trips, 600 miles in a weekend, and it coped magnificently!

Best all rounder I've ever had!!

Review Date: 20th November, 2005