2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Nifty

Nada - bought it with a couple scuffs on the plastic, & one piece missing (damaged by previous owner) - can't say I was real impressed with either dealership I dealt as far as what was needed to replace it, but I don't kill 'em for that since it's an odd piece to lose, & they did try.

General Comments:

Great Storage, respectable acceleration, & power,

Does fine two up.

Brakes haven't failed me yet, & was able to duck a drunk at 45mph so the handling's good 'nuff.

Pretty comfortable, but the factory screen just ain't built for your average U.S. male (I ain't real tall, but tall 'nuff apparently) so it loses points there. The exec would be a bit better for that.

Lots of storage by motorbike standards. Two full helmets & a laptop was a quote, & I think I could manage that with some jiggering.

Review Date: 8th March, 2009

2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 from Canada

Summary:

Forget the comments and looks, enjoy the bike :)

The Burgman 650 could be a little bit more economical. At high speed, it will burn 5 liters per 100km.

General Comments:

Excellent motorcycle (or scooter, whatever you want to call it).

Performs very well in town or on the highway.

The brakes are very good, in fact I was almost rear ended by a pickup truck that could not brake as hard as I did at a light.

You can run in hot weather without engine heat.

The storage is not only plentiful, but your stuff stays dry... which any motorcyclist can appreciate.

Review Date: 4th November, 2008

25th Mar 2009, 21:11

I am very interested in purchasing this bike. My three friends have 600cc super sports, but I live in the city (Toronto) and really don't see the practical side of this.

I want to commute downtown from Scarborough. And on weekends just take it out the back roads up to Barrie, or where ever. My mind says the Burgman is the right choice, my ego is saying I'm going to get an earful from my buddies. Would you consider this a good bike to start out with that will last for a beginners attention? I don't wanna start on a 250 cc. Does this go into a different bracket for insurance because it is a scooter?? Where do you live in Canada??

26th May 2009, 21:55

Our Burgman is staying in first and not shifting gears... any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem?? Less than 5000 kms on it. 2008.

3rd Mar 2010, 15:38

The 650 Burgman is a 600 lb motorcycle. It would not be ideal for a first bike. The 400 Burgman would be a better choice.

In a regular bike, the GS 500 Suzuki would be an ideal choice. I rode a similar bike when I was a new rider, and found it easy to ride once I got the hang of the clutch. Don't even think about a 600 sport bike to start.

People who try to ride bikes like that with no experience have a habit of winding up badly hurt or dead. 100 HP motorcycles give beginner hands no margin for error.

A 40 HP bike like the GS 500 can do 160 kph. That is plenty fast, but they are a much more friendly bike to ride. This is 40 years of experience speaking.

29th Dec 2010, 22:14

What is it that makes a 650 cc bike weigh 600 lbs?

I thought that may have been a figure with rider, but apparently not.

Is it a huge fuel tank, frame, bodywork, or something else that accounts for the weight?

2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 from United States of America

Summary:

Best ride on the road!

Nothing.

General Comments:

This review includes my 2004 Burgman 650 and my 2006 Burgman 650 Executive.

These two bikes are identical in most respects. The only differences (other than minor trim differences) are that the Executive has Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), an electrically adjustable windshield (like power windows), mirrors that can be electrically retracted and the OEM passenger backrest is standard.

Having ridden my '04 for 60,102 miles and my (current) '06 Executive for over 66,000 miles, I feel uniquely qualified to give an opinion on this motorcycle.

This vehicle is great for around town driving, whether commuting or doing some minor shopping, and is equally at home on the highway (Interstates included).

The 55-liter trunk provides ample space for 2 full-face helmets or quite a lot of groceries (a case and a half of beer fits very nicely). The commuter that may have to stop by the grocer on the way home will appreciate that.

The braking is superb, as I found out a few years back on my ’04 Burgman. I was traveling from my home in Florida to see my older son in Denver, CO. As I was driving into Denver, in the rain, and looking for my turn, I looked up to see a pickup truck stopped right in front of me. I found that “pumping” the brakes (both on the handle bars) was very effective in avoiding a collision. This is also the event that made me realize that ABS would be very helpful on a motorcycle.

Although I stated “Nothing” in the “Things Gone Wrong” section, the front wheel bearings failed on my ’04 Burgman at 33,000 miles (this was covered by warranty), an event that I considered a “fluke”; and it was. The drive belt on my ’06 Executive failed at 62,910 miles. I don’t really consider that as something that went wrong; nothing lasts forever. The dealer will tell you that they don’t know how long the belt will last, but I know how long it will last. If you buy ANY bike with a van Doorne-type transmission (CVT), it would be prudent to consider having the belt replaced between 50K and 60K miles (80K and 100K kilometers). The down side of this is that the replacement will cost you about $1,200 US. If the belt breaks it could coast twice that because of collateral damage. (I was lucky!)

On my trips to Texas, Colorado and Washington state, I consistently get between 50 and 60 miles per gallon (sometimes over 62 mpg) ; you can count on 56 mpg. Keeping up with traffic at 70 to 90 mph doesn't even tax the capabilities of this bike; you feel the bike could keep going and going and going... Around town I have been getting about 54 mpg. I should mention that I do NOT live in a major metropolitan area so there is not a lot of “stop and go” driving. If you live in a large city you can expect mileage in the 48-mpg range (unless you shut down the engine at those long stoplights).

I do most of the minor maintenance myself (oil changes, etc.) and leave the bigger stuff to the professionals. Even with labor at $75.00 per hour, my transportation costs are very low.

On a long trip this bike really shines. The seats are very comfortable and the trunk space is ample for one rider and adequate for two.

The windshield issue mentioned by others (regarding the Burgman 650) has been solved with the Executive’s adjustable windshield.

I love this ride!!

Review Date: 20th August, 2008

5th Jul 2010, 09:14

Since I wrote this review, I got married and found that the Burgman 650 Executive is just a little short on storage space for myself and my wife (some of you know how women like to pack) so I traded up to a new Can-Am Spyder RT-S. I made the trade on 01 March 2010 with 108,198 miles on the Burgman and it still ran like new. Anyone who wants a bike that handles extremely well, keeps up in traffic (even at Interstate speeds) and is a very comfortable and reliable ride, they could not do better than the Burgman 650. Unless they need more than 55 liters of trunk space.

28th Aug 2010, 04:00

I own a 09 Yamaha TMAX, and I ride with a group of people that own the Suzuki Burgman's. On a straight, long highway they are faster, but when we hit the twisty back roads, they can't keep up with my TMAX. They make excuses that I am a more daring and experienced rider, I have no fear of scraping my knees on the tight curves, but the truth is the TMAX is a 10 times better handling and well balanced scooter than the Burgman.

I have been riding crotch rockets for a long time, but I never seen any better tight curve handling bike than the TMAX.

The Suzuki Burgman is a great scooter, but it's outdated and old fashioned, and not well balanced, over priced. Suzuki needs to go back and redesign it.