16th Feb 2006, 19:38

Have just bought one - am a beginning rider at age 47, so I need a 250 for a year or so. It just appealed to me, so I bought it. It's an 84 model and needs a bit of work, but it goes and is licensed. Any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated. As would any suggestions about where I could get parts and a workshop manual. drovershill@hotmail.com

10th Aug 2006, 11:15

Hi I live in taranaki NZ and own a gs250fw. I have found it to be a great little bike. It has loads of power for a 250.

I blew the motor a while ago (con rod snapped in half). I was lucky enough to come across another engine.

I've never seen another one on the road.

18th Sep 2006, 23:28

I live in Rosario, Argentina and owned one some months ago, I'm working on the engine and it will look like a brand new bike. Also have the workshop manuals, contact me, thortheblade@hotmail.com

28th May 2007, 06:59

I've just added a GS250FW to my garage with over 90,000kms on the clock, hence it burns a bit of oil and does not tick over properly.

I recently took it to AHGs DTEC track near Perth airport. The handling was not too bad, but ground clearance is poor, scraping the footrest, centre stand and outer exhaust down pipes on both sides.

Surprisingly, after 2 hours of constant redlining, the motor stayed intact and even got me home on one tank (just).

It's nice sometimes to buzz around on an old relic instead of the latest wizz bang tackle, and not be worried about falling off and causing more damage at stand still than the GS is worth!

MARSH

29th May 2009, 19:34

I have now had one of these girls for 8 months. I love the old classics. Have found a site with full workshop manual for free. Starting to show signs of age, but still going strong.

29th May 2010, 00:52

Just checked one out for my mate, what a ripper little bike. Not sure about the 224kmh bit.

8th Jul 2010, 04:29

Does anyone know where to get a new clutch for a GS250FW? In Australia would be great, but overseas is OK; it's the only thing slipping. I am 6'3", and have found a 250cc road bike that I can sit on and ride comfortable.

20th Jan 2011, 22:50

Hi, I bought one of these about 6 months ago. It wasn't running real well, and the seller couldn't be bothered giving the old girl a clean. I've brought her back to something really nice, and am always getting a lot of interest from older riders (including Police) reminiscing of the days they had one.

Since I've owned it, a mate has sorted out the electrical niggles, I have had the stater re-built, put in a new battery and matched the rear tyre to the front Batlax.

This bike is absolutely awesome to ride. I'm an older rider, so self preservation is a main skill that I'm happy to preserve.

The GS is slow off the mark, but once 5500 rpm is reached, she picks up quite well. I had her up to 150 km/h on the highway and that's plenty for a first time rider. She'll hold 110 km/h with ease, so it's good for the country highways - but you might need to drop back to 4th to get the power to overtake.

The old girl is a daily commute for me (I'm 6'3 tall) and fun on the weekends. She won't keep up with the younger girls, but will blow away V6's off the mark, and allow you to get ahead of the traffic.

I'm getting about 18km to the litre, so the economy is there, but opening her up at the top end will use a little more gas.

All in all, I'm really impressed, and will be sad to see her go when I get my R class in a few months.

Steve, Perth, WA.

16th Jul 2011, 06:59

G'day, I have recently purchased a Suzuki gs250fws, and as a learner's permit holder (for the first time since 1989), was quite happy to get it. I've started it numerous times, which it had done first time, each time. I also took it for a spin around my step Father's property (have yet to have the reg done on it). The second time I started it to ride around the property, the electrics went up (burnt out). I don't know to what extent the damage to the electrical components have been caused, but I will need to source a new OEM wiring loom for it before I will know. Problem is, whilst there are a few places where older bike (new) OEM parts can be purchased, I have not been able to find any for this model. Can anyone help me with this problem. Get back to me ASAP, please. jatgeorge@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Jat.

28th Sep 2014, 10:55

I have just bought a GS 250 FW 1984 model. I need a muffler. Can anybody help me with any info on where I can get parts or another bike for parts?

steveansell@yahoo.com