Suzuki GSX1400 Reviews

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
First year of ownership2009
Previous motorcycleKawasaki Zephyr 750

Summary:

Big, mean, tough, powerful, impressive

Regulator rectifier failed at 27,000 miles

General Comments:

I love this bike. I love the retro looks - mine is blue and white, I love that it looks massive and heavy, I love the twin silencers that sweep up on either side. When I climb aboard, it feels big and solid, I feel I'm sitting in the bike rather than on it, the riding position is beautiful and I love the deep burble from both exhausts when I fire up the 1400cc lump.

It pulls away effortlessly - even in second or third gear, clicks smoothly through the gearbox, and above 40mph you can't hear the engine or exhaust, all you get is wind rush and it feels like I'm sitting on a turbine unleashing unlimited amounts of torque and power.

Riding through town it turns heads from admiring envious onlookers, and once on the open road I know I can overtake anything in front of me.

When I bought this bike I knew I wanted a 70s style retro. My previous bike was a Kawasaki 750 Zephyr; great bike, but the engine was too small. I'd decided it was either the GSX or a Yamaha XJR 1300. It was a close thing, but the GSX got the nod due to the slightly bigger engine, six gears, and to my eye the GSX looked bigger and tougher.

Unlike most owners who modify their 14s, I reckon Suzuki did a superb styling job so I've kept mine standard apart from an oil cooler cover, front fender extender and rear hugger. It never gets ridden in bad weather, and gleams like a showroom model.

Yeah... I love this bike. Just wish the weather in this country was more bike friendly.

Review Date: 19th November, 2013

2008 Suzuki GSX1400 from Australia

Model year2008
Year of manufacture2007
First year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired5000 kilometres
Most recent distance12000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleHarley Davidson Softail Deluxe

Summary:

Owned many bikes, and this 1400 is the best by far

Nothing.

General Comments:

This is a motorcycle that embodies the essence of what motorcycling was meant to be.

A big, heavy, mean looking naked with a massive powertrain with 6 gears (why bother changing, as the torque factor makes changing gears an afterthought).

A bike that is equally at home being ridden short distances around town, or on extended tours of the country.

The engine and gearbox are virtually bulletproof. I sold my original 14 and bought a Harley, It wasn't long before I sold the Harley and bought another 14, as I found I missed the excitement of riding such an awesome machine. Will always own one.

Review Date: 9th April, 2013

2004 Suzuki GSX1400 from United Kingdom

Year of manufacture2004
First year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired51000 kilometres
Most recent distance56500 kilometres
Previous motorcycleKawasaki ZZR1100

Summary:

The best motorcycle I have ever owned!

Nothing yet, though just about to change the rear tyre if that counts.

General Comments:

After an 8-year break from biking, during which time the trivialities of home-ownership and kids coming along meant that I had no spare cash, I decided last spring that the time had come to get back into it. My last bike was a ZZR1100, so I was used to big sports tourers and wanted similar. My local second-hand motorcycle emporium had a wide range of suitable candidates, but immediately it was the GSX14 that caught my eye. I test rode 3 bikes, but made the mistake of taking the 14 out first - within 100 metres of setting off, the others never stood a chance!

Yes, it's a beast... but it's very tameable. It has more power than any bike I've previously ridden, but the beauty is that it's incredibly responsive, yet controllable.

Handling is surprisingly good for such a big (dare I say clumsy-looking?!) bike. I've scraped the pegs a few times, and it always felt that there were easily a few more degrees to go.

My only gripe is that the rear brake does virtually nothing. However, the intention is to add some braided hoses in the very near future - from speaking to fellow owners, this will make all the difference.

My wife tells me that the pillion seat is excellent. Very comfortable and a good seating position, which means she's not fidgeting or asking to stop after 30 minutes. I've even taken my 7-year old daughter out a few times :-)

In the past I've usually changed my bike once a year, but that is absolutely not the case here - I'll keep hold of this bike until it no longer works... and then I'm gonna track down another!!!

For someone wanting to combine power, comfort, reliability and looks into one bike, then look no further.

Review Date: 7th February, 2013