17th Apr 2011, 13:40

Just got a 2000 Savage 650 for my girlfriend. She loves the bike.

Working on the running lean thing... LOL they run very lean, and yes the pipe is too big and back fires on stock settings.

We have removed the big stock pipe, put a shorter Harley pipe on the bike... WOW, she runs a little loud, but more power, smoother ride, but still a little too lean. We are thinking a bigger jet to richen it up and get it all dialed in.

The Suzuki Savage 650 is a good bike for smaller, newer riders. They need to be tuned for the rider when you get them. I think if Suzuki puts a better card and pipe on all of them, more people would like them.

29th May 2011, 04:42

The bike is running lean!

Low speed surging, backfiring, and bluing of the exhaust pipe are all classic symptoms of a lean condition.

Fatten up the mixture, and all three problems will be solved.

20th Jun 2011, 09:25

I have all of those "running lean" symptoms that you spoke of, how do you fatten up the mixture and get rid of the back firing and blueing of the exhaust pipe? If you could, anyone, please write me on here as well as dropping me a line to my email as to "how to". All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

15th Aug 2011, 20:32

The Suzi is so sweet. I've put 12,000 miles in 18 months on my 2004 Savage 650, only normal changes of oil, and just now a spark plug that it didn't need, but since I was in there checking it out...

Pretty much stopped the popping by putting two mouse clips behind the choke to keep it open a little because it's too lean at sea level (I live at 5,000 ft in Reno, NV).

Added a block under the front of the seat to level it (it was tilted downward/forward) and a gel pad. Added road pegs, 10" Harley ape hangers (it has great turning radius), extended the sissy bar, throw over saddle bags and 2 web bungies from Walmart.

Added a 12 volt charger for CPH etc. Going to add two more smaller head lights and running (side) lights.

I've been told a larger Road King tank works, but I haven't seen one.

Stock muffler was almost 14 lbs, swapped for a shorter straight pipe; I like the throaty sound. Going to experiment more with muffler. I have a 2004 Sportster and this is much more comfortable on long rides, as much as 10 hour day. Does 75 mph easily, unless it's really windy. Fuel in town/hwy average 63 mpg.

Get a Clymer Repair manual, it's excellent.

I'm a 5'2" ladybiker, DATAKID. Thanks, Dad, it's fun working with you!

10th Feb 2012, 05:08

Hello All... My partner owns a 1999 Suzuki Savage LS650... I was wondering if anyone knew a cheap place to pick up a double seat and back for the seat anywhere?... If anyone has any suggestions or links, or any kind of information, I would love to hear it. He misses riding it, and I want to surprise him. Thank you:)

26th Nov 2012, 13:35

Leaving the fuel petcock (tap) in 'ON' or 'PRI' position (without the engine running) risks hydrolock if fuel is able to flow into the cylinder. The liquid is incompressible (unlike fuel/air mix), so when the engine cranks on starting, the stresses can be terminal to conrods and even crankshafts.

24th Feb 2013, 13:17

1. The head gasket NEVER fails in these bikes. NEVER! It is a rubber plug ~12$.

2. The float doesn't fail. If the readers pay attention - the bike is a 1999 and the specialist wrote the review in 2011. What failed was a simple rubber O-ring, a result of the sh***y gas in the US.

3. I've owned over 15 Savages and have worked on more than 50. Only once I saw a bad stater. Never a bad rectifier-regulator. Either the writer is doing something wrong, or he's not telling the truth.

And so on and so on.

The only problems this bike has are the rubber plug that leaks in between the head and the cylinder, and the cam-chain rattle around 18K miles. Just go on suzukisavage.com and read the remedy.

Just ignore this review. This bike has been sitting a lot, and all the problems are age and sitting related.

13th Sep 2013, 17:10

I am surprised the author didn't know this, "PRI" stands for PRIME. It allows unrestricted fuel flow into the carb, stopped by the floats. Usually used to fill the bowl if left unridden for a short time. The petcocks that have PRI do not have an "OFF" position, they have ON and RES (reserve), which are both closed when the engine is off, and opened when the engine is on, operated by engine vacuum. So on this bike, "ON" (or RES) is the appropriate position when the motor is off, but PRI is not as it will not stop fuel flow ever, and you may end up with flooded carbs and a fuel puddle on the ground.

13th Sep 2013, 17:12

I should also add that if a petcock does not have PRI, it should be ON, OFF, RES.