1999 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from Brazil

Summary:

My passion

The only problem I had with this bike was the highest price of parts and custom parts in Brazil; parts stores practice high abusive prices and we need to do a great deal of research to find the best price.

Also, the seat is hard for long trips.

General Comments:

The VZ800 is the best bike in its category. It has good durability and is a beautiful bike. It has a very strong engine and I love it.

Better than a Honda Shadow 600cc or 750cc too. Better than a Yamaha Dragstar, and why not better than an 883 HD and many others in this category. I respect the others, but this is like a cannon on the roads.

Long live the VZ800.

Review Date: 26th April, 2016

2001 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from United States of America

Summary:

Excellent bike when everything is in tune

The starting relay is a terrible design. I decided to bypass it. The tank was full of water (previous owner?). I had to have the tank and carbs cleaned. All seemed like general maintenance for a 15 year old bike that had been sitting.

General Comments:

Fun to ride! Very comfortable to ride. Feels more like a cruiser than my old Shadow.

Review Date: 16th April, 2016

2001 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from United States of America

Summary:

Can't trust it

I continually fight to start this motorcycle. After a recent fix from the Suzuki dealer following the winter it was fine. BUT as I feared, after 5 days, it wouldn't start up again. Forums and blogs and tons of advice still doesn't help. Even the owners clubs recommend bypassing the starting relays to aid in starting. Is this really a smart design? I'm not into paying money to work and pay more money, and I can't recommend others do this either. The electrics kill it for me and the simple matter is, it can't provide me the ability to stay on the road.

General Comments:

For the FEW days I was able to ride this "bike" it was great. Everything easy to use and it's exceptionally comfortable. It was very easy to ride all day. It's lighter, more maneuverable, powerful, and unique than the Yamaha V star/Honda Shadow competitors in its class.

Mine in particular was garage kept for years and refurbished for use last year. Immaculate condition. Everything was great until the temperatures dipped below 50 degrees.

This bike just can't hack mildly cold temperatures. Close to freezing, you may as well forget it. After this past year of continual headaches with starting issues, I regret not buying either the Yamaha or Honda. My friend started his V-Star up with ease and has been out on the road leaving me yelling some choice words for my decision.

Would you buy another motorcycle from this manufacturer? No

Review Date: 4th April, 2016

1997 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from United States of America

Summary:

I must love it to spend that kind of money to fix it

Gearing was wrong: replaced front and back sprockets:

Chain wear seemed excessive: a chain per year.

Safety switch on the kickstand was an issue from the beginning.

General Comments:

Have driven this bike everywhere. From Michigan to Florida twice, and Kentucky and Tennessee. It isn't a comfortable bike for long hauls, but is VERY reliable.

It is WAY too expensive to do serious motor work. I seized the motor, and have spent $3,000 to rebuild it.

For mechanics it is an odd motor. 38mm crank and having to match hone the case bearings.

BUT, I couldn't have found a better quality and looking bike for the price to repair it.

Review Date: 19th May, 2012

2003 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder from United States of America

Summary:

Good handling bike if you have good tires and make sure the neck bolt is tight below the handle bars

Nothing has gone wrong with it yet... been a good bike. I have 2 Honda's in the garage.. older bikes, but are good ones.

General Comments:

This Suzuki Marauder is a cool bike, I like it a lot, & have gotten a lot of positive comments on the looks and sound...

The only complaint I have is at higher RPMs near (65 mph), the motor seems to over work! And over rev.. due to the poor design of the gearing by Suzuki. So I guess I am going to change the front sprocket & rear sprocket... Also change to a high dollar chain.. o-ring. I am going up to a 16 tooth on the front, & down to a 47 tooth on the rear to see my results on the top end.. I hope this fixes my problem..?!!!

Review Date: 22nd August, 2011

2nd Sep 2011, 14:49

Just curious if the sprocket changes fixed the high rev/over-rev problem you've described?

27th Jul 2013, 04:22

Hello! How does it work with the 16 tooth sprocket on the front and 47 on the rear?

19th Mar 2014, 23:34

Hi, I'm interested in how your sprocket change went? You stated you were going to change the front to 16 & the rear to 47. How did this work? OK or NOT at 60mph / 100km/h?

11th Mar 2016, 09:06

I don't know what he did, but I changed my sprockets and it helped a lot. It increased my range from 110 miles per tank to 150. My gas mileage increased to 50 MPG. I put on Vance & Hines pipes, 15 inch ape hangers and an engine guard. It is the VZ800, but it runs with the big bikes all day. I would say the only need thing that happened is when you start, it's like starting out in 2nd gear. But it has enough torque to pull right out.