1987 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Summary:

Nimble rocket that will go down in motorcycle history books

Have not had anything go wrong in 20k with the exception of tires and oil changes.

General Comments:

Very fast and nimble bike.

Review Date: 16th May, 2010

6th Jun 2012, 02:09

I have owned this bike for years, 45k miles and still runs strong :) Handles amazing through the canyons at 80 mph, great gas mileage 45+. All you need to do is throw on new lights, and this bike will look better than any of the other bikes they're pumping out these days.

12th Dec 2012, 19:11

Does anyone know what is the maximum tire sizes that you can go with? I am thinking the front can take a 120/70 and the rear can go between 150/85 & 150/80 because the swingarm is narrow. Would appreciate your help, as she needs some new sneakers to provide additional confidence. ;o) alhrocks@gmail.com if you could let me know.

31st Jan 2013, 14:31

I just put on:

Metzeler - ME 880 Marathon Touring Rear Tire Size - 150/80VB-15 SKU #53133

Metzeler - Lasertec Bias Sport Touring Front Tire Size - 110/90V-16 SKU #97376

Before that I rode:

IRC Durotour

150/90/15 Rear

100/90/16 Front

Only got a few miles on my new Metzelers due to a fuel problem I'm working on.

Hope this helps!

6th Jun 2013, 02:04

This rider hit the nail on the head. I've owned around 40 motorcycles over the years, and my '87 Fazer is one of my favorites.

I think there are many riders who want sport bike motors and high tech goodies without the back pain. This bike comes very close to satisfying that criteria.

If it had 17 inch tires, fuel injection and 750cc, it would be right in the hunt today, and probably sell very nicely. Are you listening Yamaha?

1987 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Summary:

A privilege to own such a machine

To be honest, I have no complaints whatsoever about this bike; I love it.

I've never owned something for 3 years and never had a breakdown. Normal maintenance, clutch, chain etc.

General Comments:

I love everything about it, I just wish I could make it more comfortable. I get very fatigued after long rides, back pains, legs going numb, ass hurts. Around town I would never sell this bike.

Review Date: 29th July, 2009

1987 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Summary:

Scary

Over heads at red lights.

General Comments:

A word of warning on the Fazer top speed. This bike will go way faster than the handling. What I mean is it accelerates like a crotch rocket and handles like a cruze. It will not turn at high speed and will not slow down like a GXSR. Be careful, there are many a story of experienced riders crashing these bikes.

I love mine, no matter where I park it people stop and check it out. If I go to a "biker bar", it's not uncommon to see people with their backs to a 20k Harley looking at my 2500 Yama. (Too much fun).

Love them or hate them, everyone has a comment about the Fazer.

Review Date: 21st June, 2009

16th Jul 2010, 10:01

Time to install a FZR600 front end with 17 inch wheel, 300mm rotors and 4 pot calipers; bolts right on. 90 and later will fit.

For the rear, get an XJR 1300 swingarm and wheel; will bolt right up, and now you have high speed handling and braking, and that bulletproof FZX engine. When people ask what model it is, you can then say it's a FZX700R.

Good luck, find out more on the Yahoo FZX forum. Phil.

9th Sep 2011, 23:50

People do need to be aware, truth is this bike has more engine than frame. The front forks are a tad weak, causing a wobble at high speeds. I had this bike going about (max) 140mph and had the death wobble going. 100 to 120, I think you're fine. I also had a Yamaha Maxim X at about 135mph, also had a wobble, but was more stable. These bikes are the best of the 80's, I suggest to keep speeds less than 110. Yes, we know not to break the limit, these bikes as many others' need recognition and be careful. These 700 cc bikes will out run cruisers twice the cc capacity.

16th Jan 2012, 21:28

Can you post some pics of the bike after the front fork swap? I just got one, and have a set of GSX-R front forks sitting in my garage... They're makin' eyes at each other.

30th Jun 2014, 00:11

Phil,

What size and brand of tires did you put on your bike after the mods you mentioned?

Bob, '87 Fazer 700.