1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Summary:

Fun

Carbs needed cleaning.

General Comments:

This bike just feels right. I love the way it revs and handles. I picked up my bike off a guy that laid it down in a ditch. For this reason he was willing to sell it dirt cheap. Plus the fact that appearance wise it was obvious that the owners didn't care about shine. It will take me weeks to buff out the neglect.

Review Date: 18th May, 2014

1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Summary:

Love this bike so much that I want another

Chain had to be replaced at around 9000 miles.

General Comments:

This bike is almost scary fast sometimes. Just hold the throttle full on through the gears.

Hard to believe it's only a 700cc.

Very nimble and easy to handle.

Mine was souped up with the Dial-a-Jet carb kit, and SuperTrapp exhaust, which helped increase performance a good bit.

Review Date: 8th February, 2014

24th Apr 2014, 13:15

The more miles you put on it, the more you will love this bike. I fell in love with these things back in 1986; I even sat on one in a dealership that year. Took until 2000 until I got my first one, I had been messing with other bikes until then. Mine is heavily modified now, 4 into 1 header, pod filters, HUGE main jets, Corbin custom made seat, high powered light, bigger front springs. My next project is a full front brake system swap. I currently have 8 motorcycles, including a V Max, and the Fazer is my favorite; I ride it everywhere, long trips, short trips, it is the best all around bike made.

With the mods mine acts like a drag bike, very fast revving now, too much for any beginner.

The main complaints about this when new were the brakes and front suspension. The bigger springs took care of the suspension issues, it is now rock solid handling. The front brakes are a joke, they are the only weak spot on this bike; once I get a new system, this thing will be perfect.

30th Apr 2014, 02:27

I love mine also, but I'm having some problems. Mine has a 4 into 1 header, and pod filters also, but I can't seem to get the jet sizing right. Have tried multiple different sizes, but it's just not quite running right. What size jets are you using?

1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Summary:

The most exciting bike ever!

I can't ride it in the snow!!

General Comments:

I'm not sure if people are still reading this post, but I'm compelled to express my feelings about the Fazer & Yamaha.

I was a Yamaha dealer for 7 years, my first Fazer was a salvage bike I bought in 92; I rebuilt it and rode it for two years before I crashed, hitting a patch of oil in a corner.

My second was a trade-in, I rode it for three years before selling it for an offer that at the time I couldn't refuse.

Last fall I bought my third; all were 1986 FZX700s. My newest was an eBay find, 5000 miles, and I paid $3100. All stock except for the pipe; it came with the stock exhaust & center stand. The only thing missing was the owner's manual, which I found on eBay along with other cool stuff like the original Cycle Mag, ad & review etc.

After all those years & 3 bikes, I've finally learned my lesson, DON'T CRASH IT & DON'T SELL IT! The Fazer remains to this day a bike ahead of its time, it embodies all the reasons one buys a motorcycle in the first place, every ride produces child-like joy & excitement, heads turn constantly, and when it's parked, people are drawn to it. Every time I return to my parking spot, someone is waiting to talk about the bike. I have always admired Yamaha for their innovation and technologies, but discontinuing the Fazer after only two years was a grave mistake. However I think I can speak for most Fazer owners in saying, Thank you Yamaha for creating the most exciting motorcycle ever!

Review Date: 19th February, 2011

20th Aug 2012, 09:34

I can't agree with you more. I found one with 6800 miles, totally refurbished mechanically by a professional for under $2500. My last bike was an antique, but I love the Fazer.

Christian.

13th Jun 2013, 16:40

I`m a Fazer fan as well. I had never heard of the Yamaha Fazer until last summer when I found a 1986 Yamaha Fazer 700 with only 1821 miles on it. Through the winter I've put about 4000 mile on it, but no matter how cold it was, I could not stay off the bike. It is a head turner, and everywhere I go people have to ask questions about it. I've had a number of bikes, but this is my first Yamaha and I love it. Just put it in the shop today for new tires, and can't wait to ride it with new rubber.

30th Nov 2013, 21:16

I found my '96 last summer on Craigslist in San Diego, what a great bike! You are so right, don't sell or crash it. Had a lot of fun restoring her to almost perfect condition. Too bad some idiot just knocked my Fazer over in a parking lot this afternoon. Hopefully the insurance will cover all the shattered parts, scratches and dings.