1987 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Summary:

This bike epitomizes the reason we ride... for fun!

So far... none.

General Comments:

I'm an old geezer and have been riding for many, many years. Have owned over 50 motorcycles. Former 250gp racer.

I bought my '87 Fazer 700 to use in the local Classic Japanese Motorcycle club, to show and ride. The only mod to my stock bike was installing a Dynojet Kit, Stage 1. It is so dialed in now that it will start immediately, from a cold start, without the choke!

This bike is a blast to ride! It's very smooth, has a hyper personality, and is never boring to ride.

I'm 5' 10" and the ergonomics of the riding position are quite good, and especially the reach to the handlebars and the footpegs.

If you have one of these, take good care of it and never sell!

Review Date: 24th September, 2014

18th Jun 2015, 00:47

I got my FZX 1986 700 Fazer from my cousin for a 3 hour job doing a water pump for him. The bike sat in his garage for 10 years and needed carburetor work. I rode it when he first got it and smoked a GSXR 750. I look back and didn't see him. The bike scared the crap out of me.

I fixed the bike, it runs great. I put struts on it and slammed it 3 inches. Maybe I will learn how to post pics.

sickboybikes

16th Sep 2015, 20:16

I have a 1986 Fazer 700. I got it for my girlfriend, and she is 5 foot. I'm trying to lower it so she can handle it; any idea on what, where and how I can get this done? I have tried a few motorcycle shops around where I live, including one specializing in Yamahas. They couldn't find anything. If you could please respond, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

16th Jan 2016, 16:19

You can find different sizes of struts online. 9 inch is low, but she will be able to touch the ground. You have to get used to it; it bounces around and could throw you off the bike. Take it easy till you get used to it. You can look into 9 or 10 inch shocks.

13th Mar 2016, 15:57

Mark.

I had a 86 Fazer... stage 3 carb kit and Yosh pipe (identical to FZ750 bolts).

Was not the fastest bike I owned; that belongs to the FZR1000R ex-up. HOWEVER... this FZX was the quickest. There is a difference between fast and quick.

Some believe that it was a 750 model. Untrue...

This was a tariff bike meant to beat the import tariff placed on bikes 750cc or larger, due to the quest of Harley Davidson's sales drop at the time.

The stroke was cut 4mm and displacement went to 697cc. Basic FZ750 motor only with the short stroke actually increasing RPM.

This was a true pleasure to ride, looked great, handled nice, and was a wheelie machine.

Have to give it to Yamaha... a job well done.

46 can... Mark.

15th Apr 2016, 15:11

Where did you find the exhaust and carb kit? I'll be picking up an 86 tomorrow and would like to wrench on it a bit. Solely for longevity purposes.

1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Summary:

Fun

Carbs needed cleaning.

General Comments:

This bike just feels right. I love the way it revs and handles. I picked up my bike off a guy that laid it down in a ditch. For this reason he was willing to sell it dirt cheap. Plus the fact that appearance wise it was obvious that the owners didn't care about shine. It will take me weeks to buff out the neglect.

Review Date: 18th May, 2014

1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Summary:

Love this bike so much that I want another

Chain had to be replaced at around 9000 miles.

General Comments:

This bike is almost scary fast sometimes. Just hold the throttle full on through the gears.

Hard to believe it's only a 700cc.

Very nimble and easy to handle.

Mine was souped up with the Dial-a-Jet carb kit, and SuperTrapp exhaust, which helped increase performance a good bit.

Review Date: 8th February, 2014

24th Apr 2014, 13:15

The more miles you put on it, the more you will love this bike. I fell in love with these things back in 1986; I even sat on one in a dealership that year. Took until 2000 until I got my first one, I had been messing with other bikes until then. Mine is heavily modified now, 4 into 1 header, pod filters, HUGE main jets, Corbin custom made seat, high powered light, bigger front springs. My next project is a full front brake system swap. I currently have 8 motorcycles, including a V Max, and the Fazer is my favorite; I ride it everywhere, long trips, short trips, it is the best all around bike made.

With the mods mine acts like a drag bike, very fast revving now, too much for any beginner.

The main complaints about this when new were the brakes and front suspension. The bigger springs took care of the suspension issues, it is now rock solid handling. The front brakes are a joke, they are the only weak spot on this bike; once I get a new system, this thing will be perfect.

30th Apr 2014, 02:27

I love mine also, but I'm having some problems. Mine has a 4 into 1 header, and pod filters also, but I can't seem to get the jet sizing right. Have tried multiple different sizes, but it's just not quite running right. What size jets are you using?

4th Sep 2015, 20:21

Not sure if you get notifications from this or not, but I would love to see a picture of yours please.

Thanks, James.