Yamaha FZX700 Fazer Reviews

Model year1986
Year of manufacture1986
First year of ownership2004
Most recent year of ownership2006

Summary:

Love this bike so much that I want another

Chain had to be replaced at around 9000 miles.

General Comments:

This bike is almost scary fast sometimes. Just hold the throttle full on through the gears.

Hard to believe it's only a 700cc.

Very nimble and easy to handle.

Mine was souped up with the Dial-a-Jet carb kit, and SuperTrapp exhaust, which helped increase performance a good bit.

Review Date: 8th February, 2014

1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Model year1986
Year of manufacture1986
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous motorcycleYamaha FZX700 Fazer

Summary:

The most exciting bike ever!

I can't ride it in the snow!!

General Comments:

I'm not sure if people are still reading this post, but I'm compelled to express my feelings about the Fazer & Yamaha.

I was a Yamaha dealer for 7 years, my first Fazer was a salvage bike I bought in 92; I rebuilt it and rode it for two years before I crashed, hitting a patch of oil in a corner.

My second was a trade-in, I rode it for three years before selling it for an offer that at the time I couldn't refuse.

Last fall I bought my third; all were 1986 FZX700s. My newest was an eBay find, 5000 miles, and I paid $3100. All stock except for the pipe; it came with the stock exhaust & center stand. The only thing missing was the owner's manual, which I found on eBay along with other cool stuff like the original Cycle Mag, ad & review etc.

After all those years & 3 bikes, I've finally learned my lesson, DON'T CRASH IT & DON'T SELL IT! The Fazer remains to this day a bike ahead of its time, it embodies all the reasons one buys a motorcycle in the first place, every ride produces child-like joy & excitement, heads turn constantly, and when it's parked, people are drawn to it. Every time I return to my parking spot, someone is waiting to talk about the bike. I have always admired Yamaha for their innovation and technologies, but discontinuing the Fazer after only two years was a grave mistake. However I think I can speak for most Fazer owners in saying, Thank you Yamaha for creating the most exciting motorcycle ever!

Review Date: 19th February, 2011

20th Aug 2012, 09:34

I can't agree with you more. I found one with 6800 miles, totally refurbished mechanically by a professional for under $2500. My last bike was an antique, but I love the Fazer.

Christian.

13th Jun 2013, 16:40

I`m a Fazer fan as well. I had never heard of the Yamaha Fazer until last summer when I found a 1986 Yamaha Fazer 700 with only 1821 miles on it. Through the winter I've put about 4000 mile on it, but no matter how cold it was, I could not stay off the bike. It is a head turner, and everywhere I go people have to ask questions about it. I've had a number of bikes, but this is my first Yamaha and I love it. Just put it in the shop today for new tires, and can't wait to ride it with new rubber.

30th Nov 2013, 21:16

I found my '96 last summer on Craigslist in San Diego, what a great bike! You are so right, don't sell or crash it. Had a lot of fun restoring her to almost perfect condition. Too bad some idiot just knocked my Fazer over in a parking lot this afternoon. Hopefully the insurance will cover all the shattered parts, scratches and dings.

1987 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer from United States of America

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership2001
Most recent year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleHarley-Davidson XLH 1200S

Summary:

Nimble rocket that will go down in motorcycle history books

Have not had anything go wrong in 20k with the exception of tires and oil changes.

General Comments:

Very fast and nimble bike.

Review Date: 16th May, 2010

6th Jun 2012, 02:09

I have owned this bike for years, 45k miles and still runs strong :) Handles amazing through the canyons at 80 mph, great gas mileage 45+. All you need to do is throw on new lights, and this bike will look better than any of the other bikes they're pumping out these days.

12th Dec 2012, 19:11

Does anyone know what is the maximum tire sizes that you can go with? I am thinking the front can take a 120/70 and the rear can go between 150/85 & 150/80 because the swingarm is narrow. Would appreciate your help, as she needs some new sneakers to provide additional confidence. ;o) alhrocks@gmail.com if you could let me know.

31st Jan 2013, 14:31

I just put on:

Metzeler - ME 880 Marathon Touring Rear Tire Size - 150/80VB-15 SKU #53133

Metzeler - Lasertec Bias Sport Touring Front Tire Size - 110/90V-16 SKU #97376

Before that I rode:

IRC Durotour

150/90/15 Rear

100/90/16 Front

Only got a few miles on my new Metzelers due to a fuel problem I'm working on.

Hope this helps!

6th Jun 2013, 02:04

This rider hit the nail on the head. I've owned around 40 motorcycles over the years, and my '87 Fazer is one of my favorites.

I think there are many riders who want sport bike motors and high tech goodies without the back pain. This bike comes very close to satisfying that criteria.

If it had 17 inch tires, fuel injection and 750cc, it would be right in the hunt today, and probably sell very nicely. Are you listening Yamaha?