1984 Yamaha XV1000/TR1 from Canada

Summary:

I doubt I'll ever have a bike I love as much as this one

Valves out of adjustment.

Rear tire.

Fork seals.

Horn.

General Comments:

The valves, rear tire and fork seals were all in need of service when I first looked at it on the dealer's lot.

I fell in love with this bike at first glance. That burgundy paint, that gold chrome, the Corbin seat.

I actually bought it without even test riding it! And then on the way home I cracked the throttle, felt the power, heard that V-Twin growl, and I smiled.

I remembered seeing these bikes on the showroom floor back in 84 and drooling over them, but I couldn't afford one at that time.

I had all the service done before I left the lot with it, and then for the next 3 years, all I did was change oil and put in gas.

I loved this bike. I would get all kinds of comments about how it shined in the sun. That was because I put serious polish time in on it every weekend. It was worth it.

It all ended a few years later when a guy in a mini van decided he really needed gas bad, and cut across my lane to get to those gas pumps. I was broken a bit, but my bike was broken bad.

I miss it.

Still, not the most comfortable beast. I'm a pretty big guy, so by the time the tank started to run dry at 170 Kms, I was ready for a leg stretch anyway.

That said, if I ever get the chance to own another one, I will.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2011

1981 Yamaha XV1000/TR1 from Australia

Summary:

The Volatile Vibrator

Enclosed chain drive was not that good of an idea, hard to check for correct chain tension and wear etc. so I removed it and modified it back to normal.

Starter motor will always be a problem, so get a good one; you can replace the pins in the centrifugal clutch part of the starter if you can find some, and cut them down to the right size, as I have done in the past.

Rear pot will wear quicker than the front due to heat and low oil pressure. I suggest putting an oil pressure gauge on and keeping an eye on it.

General Comments:

I have owned and ridden this bike over 100,000km, and it still keeps me very satisfied as far as great torque, fantastic in those big sweeping corners, and can keep up with the best of them in the tight stuff.

This bike was nicknamed The Volatile Vibrator, and rightfully so, but once you get used to its vibes, it's not a problem.

These bikes are getting on now, and if you were to want to keep one, then I suggest you collect spares as there are not many good ones left, and you will need them for future engine rebuilds and so on.

Carbie diaphragm is no longer available, nor is the starter motor through Yamaha.

Review Date: 1st May, 2010

10th Jan 2013, 02:22

Hi, I just read this review and I would like to share. I have just received 4 diaphragms from a business in the USA.

31st May 2015, 08:28

Hi, what was the name of the outfit, that had the diaphragms? Thanks, Dave.

1981 Yamaha XV1000/TR1 from Australia

Summary:

Quirky classic

Head gaskets, fork seals.

General Comments:

I bought my 81 XV1000 (no 920s here in Australia) in 1985 - smooth ride, powerful bike.

Problems included head gaskets blowing and enclosed chain seal failing.

I converted it to a cafe racer - Ducati 900SS replica fairing, custom made 2 into 1 stainless steel exhaust, 38mm mikuni slider carbies. This greatly increased performance (and fuel consumption).

Great bike to ride through twisty mountain roads. They are hard to find now, but I think they will acquire a cult status of sorts.

Review Date: 12th February, 2008