1984 Yamaha XV1000/TR1 from Canada

Summary:

I doubt I'll ever have a bike I love as much as this one

Valves out of adjustment.

Rear tire.

Fork seals.

Horn.

General Comments:

The valves, rear tire and fork seals were all in need of service when I first looked at it on the dealer's lot.

I fell in love with this bike at first glance. That burgundy paint, that gold chrome, the Corbin seat.

I actually bought it without even test riding it! And then on the way home I cracked the throttle, felt the power, heard that V-Twin growl, and I smiled.

I remembered seeing these bikes on the showroom floor back in 84 and drooling over them, but I couldn't afford one at that time.

I had all the service done before I left the lot with it, and then for the next 3 years, all I did was change oil and put in gas.

I loved this bike. I would get all kinds of comments about how it shined in the sun. That was because I put serious polish time in on it every weekend. It was worth it.

It all ended a few years later when a guy in a mini van decided he really needed gas bad, and cut across my lane to get to those gas pumps. I was broken a bit, but my bike was broken bad.

I miss it.

Still, not the most comfortable beast. I'm a pretty big guy, so by the time the tank started to run dry at 170 Kms, I was ready for a leg stretch anyway.

That said, if I ever get the chance to own another one, I will.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2011

1981 Yamaha XV1000/TR1 from Australia

Summary:

The Volatile Vibrator

Enclosed chain drive was not that good of an idea, hard to check for correct chain tension and wear etc. so I removed it and modified it back to normal.

Starter motor will always be a problem, so get a good one; you can replace the pins in the centrifugal clutch part of the starter if you can find some, and cut them down to the right size, as I have done in the past.

Rear pot will wear quicker than the front due to heat and low oil pressure. I suggest putting an oil pressure gauge on and keeping an eye on it.

General Comments:

I have owned and ridden this bike over 100,000km, and it still keeps me very satisfied as far as great torque, fantastic in those big sweeping corners, and can keep up with the best of them in the tight stuff.

This bike was nicknamed The Volatile Vibrator, and rightfully so, but once you get used to its vibes, it's not a problem.

These bikes are getting on now, and if you were to want to keep one, then I suggest you collect spares as there are not many good ones left, and you will need them for future engine rebuilds and so on.

Carbie diaphragm is no longer available, nor is the starter motor through Yamaha.

Review Date: 1st May, 2010

10th Jan 2013, 02:22

Hi, I just read this review and I would like to share. I have just received 4 diaphragms from a business in the USA.

1981 Yamaha XV1000/TR1 from Australia

Summary:

Quirky classic

Head gaskets, fork seals.

General Comments:

I bought my 81 XV1000 (no 920s here in Australia) in 1985 - smooth ride, powerful bike.

Problems included head gaskets blowing and enclosed chain seal failing.

I converted it to a cafe racer - Ducati 900SS replica fairing, custom made 2 into 1 stainless steel exhaust, 38mm mikuni slider carbies. This greatly increased performance (and fuel consumption).

Great bike to ride through twisty mountain roads. They are hard to find now, but I think they will acquire a cult status of sorts.

Review Date: 12th February, 2008

1981 Yamaha XV1000/TR1 from Australia

Summary:

The first of the Japanese cruisers- a real classic v-twin

Don't know, but it does need some TLC (tender loving care)

General Comments:

I have replaced a lot of bits since I bought it, but what would you expect with a 26-year old bike? - Brake pads, fork seals, chain and sprockets, exhausts (Mufflers), float valves (both) and numerous minor fittings.

I've had to re-coil a number of threads that had been stripped by previous owners and glued up (probably the same owner) including one of the main rear engine mounting bolts.

The fully enclosed drive chain is a good idea; supposed to give 50K+ chain life, although it is a pain to change chain and sprockets.

Very comfortable to ride, even at slow speed around town and through traffic, but the steering feels a bit heavy as it really wants to fall into corners, and significant counter-pressure needs to be applied to maintain a constant radius corner. The narrow handle bars are a real bonus when moving between stationary traffic.

Review Date: 26th October, 2007

12th Feb 2008, 21:55

You mentioned it 'falls' into corners - that was why I could out ride most other people through twisty roads on my XV1000 - it turns into corners very well, and with its bottom end torque pulls out of them quicker than a top-endy 4. Those old XV1000s handle like a dream.

19th Feb 2009, 13:02

Fortunately it doesn't handle like a Honda Dream... I've just bought my third XV100 (TR1) in as many decades. It could well be the best all-rounder ever to come out of Japan - as long as you don't want your all-rounder to come with no pillion accommodation worth talking about, or to be covered with plastic, or cursed with a head down, bum up riding position, like most 'all-rounders' seem to be nowadays. No, the XV1000 (TR1)'s a proper motorcycle with a characterful motor, plenty of comfort and if you have the later, restyled version, it's even good to look at.