1996 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

Nice, old school, reliable bike

I have aftermarket exhaust pipes and they are very long. The bike sometimes backfires while idling. I have placed Seafoam in the gas tank and it seems to treat the problem. I plan on getting some OEM pipes and making sure the carbs are cleaned and synced.

General Comments:

I bought this bike because I like tinkering with different types of bikes. The V-Twin motorcycle is something I had not tried, so when I saw this bike for sale and read the reviews on it, I decided to purchase it. I bought it for less than $1700 and that was definitely in my price range.

When I purchased the bike and test rode it, I loved the sound. It was loud and you know someone is coming up the road... ME! The bike handles great. I have to adjust my shifter to protrude outward because shifting was a problem at first. It's a classic and I will hold onto this bike for at least two years.

Review Date: 10th September, 2015

1990 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

For the money, a great bike

Clutch cable. Other than that, it was a good bike.

General Comments:

Good handling and very comfortable.

Review Date: 31st August, 2010

1994 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Australia

Very enjoyable ride

Generally this bike is giving excellent reliability. Only issues so far are a blown main fuse and charge rate too high (being looked at and repaired).

Starts easily, motor runs faultlessly.

General Comments:

I love this bike, has plenty of torque and is a comfortable ride. I am a mature rider with minor back problems, and I find it great even after a long ride.

I do agree with the numbness issue in the right hand after a long trip, I just throttle off and shake my hand to restore sensation! I plan to keep this bike for sometime yet!

Review Date: 21st January, 2010

1994 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Netherlands

Problem free motorcycle with a lot of polishing time invested for good looks (winter job)

I had a flat tire twice by a puncture of a spike, no other problems at all, the concept is problem free; Yamaha should cure this tire problem (ha-ha/laughs)!

General Comments:

It runs like a sowing machine, is always reliable and very comfortable.

On long runs your right hand will tingle. I do not know a solution for that, can anyone advise me?

It's an everlasting problem free joy. Only the choice and condition of the right tires is important, I prefer Metzler ME 880. On worn tires it rides like a unwilling mule.

Review Date: 30th June, 2009

16th Dec 2010, 04:51

For tingle in your hand (right), try one of these cheap cruise controls; easy to fit, and on motorways they are a godsend.

Regards, the Griffinater. Yam Virago 1100, Wales.

25th Jun 2013, 13:20

It occurred to me that installing a cruise control might relieve the right hand tingling.

1995 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Canada

Front left fork seal failing.

Smoke on start up in colder weather with the choke on.

General Comments:

This is the first larger cruiser I ever rode on.

Most of my experience has been on 350-750 range.

Large cruisers handle differently (if you make the leap like I did)... and you need to use finesse, slow and easy... and LEAN into corners hard... even at low speed.

But this is a fabulous bike, comfortable, and you feel confident. However, there is a torque to the left on left hand corners, on acceleration, which I can only assume comes from the shaft drive. But I do like the shaft drive better than a chain.

I got very lucky with the purchase of this bike, as it was indeed in show room condition, and obviously very well maintained... and my buddy I brought for an unbiased opinion said "if you don't buy it, I will".

The only modifications at purchase were the exhaust and driving lights... both improvements, and I got the original exhaust in the deal.

Two last comments... I don't like the "odometer" reset... a "push" would be better than turning the knob 8 or more times.

And if you accidentally move the 4 way switch on... easy to do... because of its location, you end up with no signals.... be mindful..... always check your signals before starting out after a stop.

Overall, I am glad I bought it.

Review Date: 30th October, 2008

23rd Jan 2009, 03:24

It's funny you say that about the left fork seal - I have just purchased my first Virago, in fact my first bike for 20 years & the first thing I noticed was a failed left fork seal.

Apart from that, I'm very happy with all aspects of the bike for what I want it for.