1996 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

Nice, old school, reliable bike

I have aftermarket exhaust pipes and they are very long. The bike sometimes backfires while idling. I have placed Seafoam in the gas tank and it seems to treat the problem. I plan on getting some OEM pipes and making sure the carbs are cleaned and synced.

General Comments:

I bought this bike because I like tinkering with different types of bikes. The V-Twin motorcycle is something I had not tried, so when I saw this bike for sale and read the reviews on it, I decided to purchase it. I bought it for less than $1700 and that was definitely in my price range.

When I purchased the bike and test rode it, I loved the sound. It was loud and you know someone is coming up the road... ME! The bike handles great. I have to adjust my shifter to protrude outward because shifting was a problem at first. It's a classic and I will hold onto this bike for at least two years.

Review Date: 10th September, 2015

1990 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

For the money, a great bike

Clutch cable. Other than that, it was a good bike.

General Comments:

Good handling and very comfortable.

Review Date: 31st August, 2010

1994 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Australia

Very enjoyable ride

Generally this bike is giving excellent reliability. Only issues so far are a blown main fuse and charge rate too high (being looked at and repaired).

Starts easily, motor runs faultlessly.

General Comments:

I love this bike, has plenty of torque and is a comfortable ride. I am a mature rider with minor back problems, and I find it great even after a long ride.

I do agree with the numbness issue in the right hand after a long trip, I just throttle off and shake my hand to restore sensation! I plan to keep this bike for sometime yet!

Review Date: 21st January, 2010

1994 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Netherlands

Problem free motorcycle with a lot of polishing time invested for good looks (winter job)

I had a flat tire twice by a puncture of a spike, no other problems at all, the concept is problem free; Yamaha should cure this tire problem (ha-ha/laughs)!

General Comments:

It runs like a sowing machine, is always reliable and very comfortable.

On long runs your right hand will tingle. I do not know a solution for that, can anyone advise me?

It's an everlasting problem free joy. Only the choice and condition of the right tires is important, I prefer Metzler ME 880. On worn tires it rides like a unwilling mule.

Review Date: 30th June, 2009

16th Dec 2010, 04:51

For tingle in your hand (right), try one of these cheap cruise controls; easy to fit, and on motorways they are a godsend.

Regards, the Griffinater. Yam Virago 1100, Wales.

25th Jun 2013, 13:20

It occurred to me that installing a cruise control might relieve the right hand tingling.

12th May 2016, 07:44

I found I had problems with my wrists with the riding position, so I swapped out the original handlebars for 8 inch mini apes and problem solved :)

1995 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Canada

Front left fork seal failing.

Smoke on start up in colder weather with the choke on.

General Comments:

This is the first larger cruiser I ever rode on.

Most of my experience has been on 350-750 range.

Large cruisers handle differently (if you make the leap like I did)... and you need to use finesse, slow and easy... and LEAN into corners hard... even at low speed.

But this is a fabulous bike, comfortable, and you feel confident. However, there is a torque to the left on left hand corners, on acceleration, which I can only assume comes from the shaft drive. But I do like the shaft drive better than a chain.

I got very lucky with the purchase of this bike, as it was indeed in show room condition, and obviously very well maintained... and my buddy I brought for an unbiased opinion said "if you don't buy it, I will".

The only modifications at purchase were the exhaust and driving lights... both improvements, and I got the original exhaust in the deal.

Two last comments... I don't like the "odometer" reset... a "push" would be better than turning the knob 8 or more times.

And if you accidentally move the 4 way switch on... easy to do... because of its location, you end up with no signals.... be mindful..... always check your signals before starting out after a stop.

Overall, I am glad I bought it.

Review Date: 30th October, 2008

23rd Jan 2009, 03:24

It's funny you say that about the left fork seal - I have just purchased my first Virago, in fact my first bike for 20 years & the first thing I noticed was a failed left fork seal.

Apart from that, I'm very happy with all aspects of the bike for what I want it for.