1990 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

For the money, a great bike

Clutch cable. Other than that, it was a good bike.

General Comments:

Good handling and very comfortable.

Review Date: 31st August, 2010

1994 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Australia

Summary:

Very enjoyable ride

Generally this bike is giving excellent reliability. Only issues so far are a blown main fuse and charge rate too high (being looked at and repaired).

Starts easily, motor runs faultlessly.

General Comments:

I love this bike, has plenty of torque and is a comfortable ride. I am a mature rider with minor back problems, and I find it great even after a long ride.

I do agree with the numbness issue in the right hand after a long trip, I just throttle off and shake my hand to restore sensation! I plan to keep this bike for sometime yet!

Review Date: 21st January, 2010

1994 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Netherlands

Summary:

Problem free motorcycle with a lot of polishing time invested for good looks (winter job)

I had a flat tire twice by a puncture of a spike, no other problems at all, the concept is problem free; Yamaha should cure this tire problem (ha-ha/laughs)!

General Comments:

It runs like a sowing machine, is always reliable and very comfortable.

On long runs your right hand will tingle. I do not know a solution for that, can anyone advise me?

It's an everlasting problem free joy. Only the choice and condition of the right tires is important, I prefer Metzler ME 880. On worn tires it rides like a unwilling mule.

Review Date: 30th June, 2009

16th Dec 2010, 04:51

For tingle in your hand (right), try one of these cheap cruise controls; easy to fit, and on motorways they are a godsend.

Regards, the Griffinater. Yam Virago 1100, Wales.

25th Jun 2013, 13:20

It occurred to me that installing a cruise control might relieve the right hand tingling.

1995 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Canada

Front left fork seal failing.

Smoke on start up in colder weather with the choke on.

General Comments:

This is the first larger cruiser I ever rode on.

Most of my experience has been on 350-750 range.

Large cruisers handle differently (if you make the leap like I did)... and you need to use finesse, slow and easy... and LEAN into corners hard... even at low speed.

But this is a fabulous bike, comfortable, and you feel confident. However, there is a torque to the left on left hand corners, on acceleration, which I can only assume comes from the shaft drive. But I do like the shaft drive better than a chain.

I got very lucky with the purchase of this bike, as it was indeed in show room condition, and obviously very well maintained... and my buddy I brought for an unbiased opinion said "if you don't buy it, I will".

The only modifications at purchase were the exhaust and driving lights... both improvements, and I got the original exhaust in the deal.

Two last comments... I don't like the "odometer" reset... a "push" would be better than turning the knob 8 or more times.

And if you accidentally move the 4 way switch on... easy to do... because of its location, you end up with no signals.... be mindful..... always check your signals before starting out after a stop.

Overall, I am glad I bought it.

Review Date: 30th October, 2008

23rd Jan 2009, 03:24

It's funny you say that about the left fork seal - I have just purchased my first Virago, in fact my first bike for 20 years & the first thing I noticed was a failed left fork seal.

Apart from that, I'm very happy with all aspects of the bike for what I want it for.

1997 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Finland

Summary:

Beautiful custom

I have a starting problem. When I push the starting switch, it only clicks. When I put it on gear and push the bike back´n forth forcefully, it starts. I installed another earth lead from the battery to the frame, and a problem appears only occasionally.

General Comments:

This is the best looking custom there is. It also is very reliable - never leaves you on the road.

I have had mine 9 years now, and I can recommend it to everyone who´s planning to buy a bike.

Review Date: 11th July, 2008

24th Oct 2010, 22:57

I have a 99 XV1100SE, and the same problem shows up occasionally. Kill switch in the right position. Kick stand up. Press starter, lights on the instruments dance, but no start. Not even a click.

Ignition off, put the bike into reverse, hold the clutch in and back the bike up a foot or two and let the clutch lever snap out to force the engine to move some and try again. It always starts right away when I do that. I think the motor is stopping at top dead centre when the no start happens. Why? No idea.

You can, of course, accomplish the same thing by putting it in second and repeating the performance while moving forward, but it's just easier to get the motor internals to shift a little (that's all it takes) when you're pushing back with your legs.

BTW I bought mine with 19,000 km on the clock in May 2008, and it now has 49,000 on it today, October 24, 2010.

I'm looking to do handling and power upgrades on this Virago. I really love it and will have it for a long time, so I want to improve both those areas as much as possible. I have my own ideas on customizing the looks, but I'm always up for good ideas.

If you have any ideas, please feel free to send them to me at chrisviragoupgrades@gmail.com

No worries, I just created this email address while writing this for the sole purpose of getting email from people who have experience and/or advice on how to improve the machine.

Thanks in advance, and I will answer every email.

17th Dec 2013, 03:01

Reverse?? It's a Virago. 1st down, N, 4 up????