1995 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Costa Rica

Summary:

Great bike

The rectifier-regulator blew one time and damaged the battery. Reason: the rectifier-regulator cables got damaged due to leaning the bike too much (the rectifier-regulator is located on the left side rear foot rest).

As a air-cooled bike, be mindful of traffic jams.

General Comments:

Great bike with a bullet proof engine. Simple and well rounded motorcycle. Dual front disk brakes provide plenty of stopping power, and the large rear drum brake works fine.

As a shaft driven motorcycle, it requires very little maintenance; if you change the oil in time you will have few issues with the bike.

Review Date: 28th August, 2018

1995 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from Canada

Front left fork seal failing.

Smoke on start up in colder weather with the choke on.

General Comments:

This is the first larger cruiser I ever rode on.

Most of my experience has been on 350-750 range.

Large cruisers handle differently (if you make the leap like I did)... and you need to use finesse, slow and easy... and LEAN into corners hard... even at low speed.

But this is a fabulous bike, comfortable, and you feel confident. However, there is a torque to the left on left hand corners, on acceleration, which I can only assume comes from the shaft drive. But I do like the shaft drive better than a chain.

I got very lucky with the purchase of this bike, as it was indeed in show room condition, and obviously very well maintained... and my buddy I brought for an unbiased opinion said "if you don't buy it, I will".

The only modifications at purchase were the exhaust and driving lights... both improvements, and I got the original exhaust in the deal.

Two last comments... I don't like the "odometer" reset... a "push" would be better than turning the knob 8 or more times.

And if you accidentally move the 4 way switch on... easy to do... because of its location, you end up with no signals.... be mindful..... always check your signals before starting out after a stop.

Overall, I am glad I bought it.

Review Date: 30th October, 2008

23rd Jan 2009, 03:24

It's funny you say that about the left fork seal - I have just purchased my first Virago, in fact my first bike for 20 years & the first thing I noticed was a failed left fork seal.

Apart from that, I'm very happy with all aspects of the bike for what I want it for.

1995 Yamaha XV1100 Virago from United States of America

Summary:

Great reliable bike

I have encountered no problems with this Virago; it's a very reliable bike.

General Comments:

Beautiful bike, classic cruiser looks, in my opinion one of the best looking bikes made.

Has plenty of power, cruises well between 60mph to 75mph.

There is quite a bit of vibration above 70 mph; enough to make your hands tingle after 30 minutes of riding.

In my opinion, the seat/handlebar locations are not set up for a tall person; it's a perfect ride for the smaller person though.

Review Date: 19th January, 2008

13th Jun 2015, 23:37

I'm about 6', and also had complaints about the riding position. Added a set of forward controls, and I can ride all day.