2006 Honda CBX250 from Chile

Summary:

Reliable

Changed speedometer cable at 25.500km or almost 4 years used.

Had to make a new key at 38.800km or 6.5 years.

Lastly, the Yuasa battery lasted till last week. That is from Jan 2006 until June 2014... 8 years 5 months!

Regular oil and filter changes (3.000km).

Tires lasted 23.940km, and the second set was changed at 44.800km.

General Comments:

Excellent bike, I use it on a daily basis - 15-20 km - with short trips of 320 km 2-3 times per year. I get 26-27 km per liter city, and 33 km per liter highway.

Review Date: 19th June, 2014

2006 Honda CBX250 from South Africa

Summary:

Unbelievably good value, and super cheap to use and maintain

Headlight bulb stopped working at 5000km. Other than that, not a single problem.

General Comments:

I bought my bike in June 2013 with 1700km on the clock when it was 7 years old. The previous owner used it briefly and then left it to gather cobwebs.

I was skeptical buying a bike that stood for so long, but I am fairly good with servicing and repairing bikes myself, so I took a gamble that seriously paid off. I also bought it for a steal (ZAR14000), whereas new ones are almost ZAR38000 now (May 2014).

I mostly use it for commuting 44km per day, but recently took it on a two week, 3500km solo trip from JHB to Cape Town and back. Long story short, the CBX250 was 100% reliable and consistent throughout the trip. Cruises comfortably at 110 - 115km/h, and got it up to 145km/h for brief periods, but fuel consumption and comfort were compromised at higher speeds. It's comfortable enough for 9 hours riding in a day, and I never experienced any discomfort at all.

I averaged 32km/l on the trip, with about 20kg luggage in saddlebags, which I think is amazing.

I do all servicing myself and takes less than 2 hours and ZAR100 to complete the service. I will use this bike for as long as it lasts, since it saves me an hour a day in traffic, and a small fortune a month in petrol. Super easy and rewarding to ride. It's no surprise I see so many of these in my neighborhood

Review Date: 12th May, 2014

2006 Honda CBX250 from South Africa

Summary:

Funflippentabulous

Nothing at all unless a headlight globe counts.

General Comments:

This is a truly awesome machine.

200 km dirt track riding, 2 up with the top box full of ice and refreshments... DONE.

1000 kays in a day... DONE.

Everyday transport... DONE.

Swapped out plug for an iridium one, manufactured own foam filter, 130 km/h and 21km/l, BEAUT!

Review Date: 13th March, 2014

2009 Honda CBX250 from South Africa

Summary:

Fantastic in its class

None seriously.

The head gasket had to be replaced twice due to oil perspiration.

General Comments:

Great bike for commuting in traffic, with plenty of torque low down.

Great for accelerating at low speeds to get-out of a spot.

Good bike for short runs into the country, but would not tour with it, as it could be a strain on the engine, and it's not the most comfortable bike.

Handles very well and is light.

Review Date: 20th November, 2013

2005 Honda CBX250 from South Africa

Summary:

Fun, functional, reliable

Nothing major, jerked at steady throttle, but cleaned carb, air box/filter, adjusted spark plug, checked valve clearance and running smooth now.

The seat gets hard after 60 kms riding.

Slightly underpowered. A 300cc motor would be awesome I think.

General Comments:

I wrote a review on my Twister a week after I bought it in October 2011 (my first bike, but have ridden before). Had the bike about 4 months now, and she's been real good to me.

I do a lot of city riding, and this is where it excels. It's a great commuter, as it turns and corners well, and has enough power to keep you ahead of the congestion.

I service the bike myself, as it's easy to work on. Only trouble is the short service intervals. She handles better with a 130/80 at the rear, Pilot Activs.

I'm really impressed with the bike, I love mine, once again, super fun ride and good looking too.

Review Date: 24th January, 2012