Honda CBX250 Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2014
Distance when acquired7648 kilometres
Most recent distance18150 kilometres
Previous motorcycleKawasaki Z750

Summary:

Funflippentabulous

Nothing at all unless a headlight globe counts.

General Comments:

This is a truly awesome machine.

200 km dirt track riding, 2 up with the top box full of ice and refreshments... DONE.

1000 kays in a day... DONE.

Everyday transport... DONE.

Swapped out plug for an iridium one, manufactured own foam filter, 130 km/h and 21km/l, BEAUT!

Review Date: 13th March, 2014

2009 Honda CBX250 from South Africa

Model year2009
Year of manufacture2008
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2013
Distance when acquired0 kilometres
Most recent distance48000 kilometres

Summary:

Fantastic in its class

None seriously.

The head gasket had to be replaced twice due to oil perspiration.

General Comments:

Great bike for commuting in traffic, with plenty of torque low down.

Great for accelerating at low speeds to get-out of a spot.

Good bike for short runs into the country, but would not tour with it, as it could be a strain on the engine, and it's not the most comfortable bike.

Handles very well and is light.

Review Date: 20th November, 2013

2005 Honda CBX250 from South Africa

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2012
Distance when acquired17500 kilometres
Most recent distance25400 kilometres

Summary:

Fun, functional, reliable

Nothing major, jerked at steady throttle, but cleaned carb, air box/filter, adjusted spark plug, checked valve clearance and running smooth now.

The seat gets hard after 60 kms riding.

Slightly underpowered. A 300cc motor would be awesome I think.

General Comments:

I wrote a review on my Twister a week after I bought it in October 2011 (my first bike, but have ridden before). Had the bike about 4 months now, and she's been real good to me.

I do a lot of city riding, and this is where it excels. It's a great commuter, as it turns and corners well, and has enough power to keep you ahead of the congestion.

I service the bike myself, as it's easy to work on. Only trouble is the short service intervals. She handles better with a 130/80 at the rear, Pilot Activs.

I'm really impressed with the bike, I love mine, once again, super fun ride and good looking too.

Review Date: 24th January, 2012

2005 Honda CBX250 from South Africa

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011

Summary:

Super fun bike

None so far.

General Comments:

I bought a 2005 CBX Twister about a week ago, and I'm loving it. It's in excellent nick and looks great in bright red.

Finding it incredibly easy to ride, and it handles well while city riding. It's nippy and has a cool engine note.

It's quite chunky for a 250, and it has this aggressive stance, which makes it really attractive.

Looking forward to some fun times with this bike.

My chain/sprocket wear indicator label peeled off from the swing arm. Where's the exact spot to place the label again?

Review Date: 10th October, 2011

1987 Honda CBX250 from Canada

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership2008
Most recent year of ownership2009
Distance when acquired27800 kilometres
Most recent distance28900 kilometres

Summary:

Could not ask for a better beginner bike

Nothing as far as break-downs.

I dropped the bike at low speed and the only thing that was damaged was the clutch lever. No fairing damage, no engine damage, nothing. A testament to this bikes usefulness as a first bike.

General Comments:

Fantastic beginner bike. The CBX250 is very stable and does not respond erratically to mistakes, such as hard downshifts on loose gravel or dirt. Also responds predictably when locking up the brakes. Power is adequate but mild with a smooth power band, also good for beginners. Braking power is awesome, allowing the beginner to make up for poor judgment as well.

The bike is a 250cc so power levels are mild. Had little trouble on the highway, generally around 110km/h, but as high as 140 at times, and is the equivalent of a generic 4 cylinder car in the city. Acceleration at highway speeds is predictably slow.

I have ridden the new CBR125, and found the power plant in that bike was simply too underpowered for highway driving, and another friend and I both prefer this CBX250, despite the age.

At 6'1" 240lbs, I was worried I would not fit on the bike or it would have trouble dragging me around. I fit fine and with the gf on the back we top out the weight capacity on the bike, and it still goes just fine.

Most will outgrow the 250 in one or two seasons, but this was the perfect bike to make mistakes and learn on without getting myself into trouble. It's used, it's cheap and you can sell it to the next new rider knowing that it will be the most responsible investment you can make to yourself and new riders to come.

Review Date: 14th February, 2009

16th Sep 2010, 01:54

I just picked up one of these weeks ago, an 1987 as well. So far starts and rides great, 18 500 km on it. I'm quite surprised at how well the 250cc single air cooled engine does. Would love to try it against a Ninja 250. At a dry weight of 255 pounds, probably the lightest street bike I've ever ridden. Love the way it corners and carves around pot holes.

14th Aug 2012, 07:24

Hi.

I am a proud owner of a CBX250, and my boyfriend owns a Ninja 250. Sadly, there is a very big difference in the feel and responsiveness between the two bikes. The Honda however doesn't struggle as much with pillion as the Ninja does. As far as speed is concerned, maybe one day I'll try to take him on.