2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from United States of America

Summary:

Best starter bike available - nimble city bike too!

Nothing.

General Comments:

It's the best starter bike out there, as it is light, handles well, and is freeway-capable for short periods.

It handles well on gravel roads - I always wanted to flat-track it.

My wife did a 380-mile day on it, then decided she needed a bigger bike. No Sportster for her! (like I ride) - instead, she traded for a C50. I miss this bike.

Review Date: 11th December, 2015

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from United States of America

Summary:

This is a nice little bike for the price

After a 25 year break I decided to get another motorcycle. The S40 brought back all the memories of how fun a motorcycle is. This was the perfect size to relearn all the basic riding skills. Enough power to keep up on the interstate, but not much bigger than a 250cc.

The bike does have a few weak spots, though. One was the seat. About 100 miles was all I could take of it at one time. I bought some rigid foam from the hardware store, and shaped and contoured it with a heat gun and sander. I took the seat apart and inserted it between the seat pan and foam. Not only did this make it much more comfortable, it also raised the seating position about 1 1/2", let me sit further back on the seat, and gave me more leg room.

I also changed the rear shocks for a smoother ride and a little more travel, changed the vacuum petcock for a manual one, and replaced the cam chain tensioner with a much more reliable one.

General Comments:

I occasionally think about trading it in on a different bike, but its light weight makes it so easy to ride. And, the single cylinder makes it very easy to maintain. Plus, it just looks so good. I'm totally happy with it after the slight modifications.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2015

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from Canada

Summary:

Great city and back road bike that can still take on the highway

Nothing.

General Comments:

Pros:

Very light bike.

Decent gas mileage, averaged 47.5 MPG on a recent highway trip and have got as high as 61 MPG (U.S. gallons).

Probably the easiest bike to ride I have ridden, and I have owned 14 motorcycles.

Very easy to service.

Cons:

No trip meter.

Speedo on the gas tank.

Rear suspension could use another inch or two of travel.

Overall a good bike. The idle mixture is too lean from the factory, but easily fixed. Re-jetting the carb makes the bike accelerate better and run a bit smoother. The bike looks sharp with its huge single cylinder. It will hit 80 mph fairly soon, but you are approaching its limit. Consistent speeds of 70 mph are no problem. At 55-60 the motor feels as though it is at a fast idle, just putting along, but crack the throttle and you are up to 75 with no effort.

Plenty of low RPM torque due to the long stroke. You don't have to shift up and down much in traffic. It corners very well for a bike that is "cruiser" styled.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2015

21st Jun 2015, 18:07

I have owned my 2005 Suzuki S40 (with low miles) for a few months now. I have also owned several motorcycles (some larger and smaller). I couldn't agree more with this review. It performs much better than you might expect considering some lukewarm reviews on the net. It's powerful for most driving, and with a pipe change, it sounds amazing (think 60s BSAs and other Brit singles). It has decent ground clearance and with its somewhat short wheel base, it handles very good. Alas, if you happen to be a male rider, please change those baby bars and put some bobber style bars on that thing! I love this bike!

28th Apr 2016, 05:19

The little S40 really reminds me of the British singles as well. There is a definite "wow" factor with the big jug sitting out there for the world to see. I think Harley would do well to dust off their old blue prints of the Knuckle Head and make a single using one of those jugs with a bit more bore.