2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from Canada

Summary:

Great city and back road bike that can still take on the highway

Nothing.

General Comments:

Pros:

Very light bike.

Decent gas mileage, averaged 47.5 MPG on a recent highway trip and have got as high as 61 MPG (U.S. gallons).

Probably the easiest bike to ride I have ridden, and I have owned 14 motorcycles.

Very easy to service.

Cons:

No trip meter.

Speedo on the gas tank.

Rear suspension could use another inch or two of travel.

Overall a good bike. The idle mixture is too lean from the factory, but easily fixed. Re-jetting the carb makes the bike accelerate better and run a bit smoother. The bike looks sharp with its huge single cylinder. It will hit 80 mph fairly soon, but you are approaching its limit. Consistent speeds of 70 mph are no problem. At 55-60 the motor feels as though it is at a fast idle, just putting along, but crack the throttle and you are up to 75 with no effort.

Plenty of low RPM torque due to the long stroke. You don't have to shift up and down much in traffic. It corners very well for a bike that is "cruiser" styled.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2015

21st Jun 2015, 18:07

I have owned my 2005 Suzuki S40 (with low miles) for a few months now. I have also owned several motorcycles (some larger and smaller). I couldn't agree more with this review. It performs much better than you might expect considering some lukewarm reviews on the net. It's powerful for most driving, and with a pipe change, it sounds amazing (think 60s BSAs and other Brit singles). It has decent ground clearance and with its somewhat short wheel base, it handles very good. Alas, if you happen to be a male rider, please change those baby bars and put some bobber style bars on that thing! I love this bike!

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from Australia

Just be aware that when you by a brand new, out of the showroom bike, the warranty that comes with them is not worth the paper it's printed on.

I purchased myself the LS650 Boulevard S40, and after doing just 800 klm the clutch failed half way through my licence test (only 3 weeks from purchase).

Returned it to the dealer, only to find they say I have a burnt out clutch and Suzuki will not warrant it. I just find it hard to believe after 3 weeks and 800 km a clutch can do this. Ohh well, nearly 650 bucks out of pocket.

Would you buy another motorcycle from this manufacturer? No

Review Date: 28th February, 2015

15th Mar 2015, 02:02

Read the paperwork; the clutch is a wear item, not a manufacturer defect.

2nd Apr 2015, 11:15

It becomes a wear item after only 800km, are you serious?

3rd May 2015, 03:11

Be careful what type of oil you use. A lot of oils have friction modifiers in them that will destroy a wet clutch very quickly. Rotella 15-40 is a good motorcycle oil, even though it is often used for diesel engines. It has ZZP and is JASO MA rated.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from United States of America

Summary:

Fantastic, fun, little all around town bike!

Not a thing.

General Comments:

My eyes were opened up to the sport of motorcycling in May of 2012 by my neighbor. Every time you turn around, he was bringing home a different bike. I really had no interest in the sport other than ooohing & ahhhing at whatever he drove up on. Being involved in a 2 wheel vs 4 wheel incident when I was a teenager, almost terrified of me being on the back of a bike as the driver would ultimately try to scare me, thinking it was funny. But one day, Dave shows up & tells me he bought a Yamaha Jog scooter for $250. I said, "I want it!" & I was hooked! He threw in a helmet, taught me how to ride & away I went! I had a buddy who lived right next door, that could handle most anything mechanically that came along.

Well weeks turned into months & I loved being on 2 wheel more than 4. But then I was itching to get something bigger, something faster, something stronger. So I sold the Jog for twice what I paid. Then with Dave's help, I landed a 1991 Honda Twinstar 200cc motorcycle. It was a new experience, clutching, shifting, going faster... All things I never felt I had the talent to accomplish. But there again, there was my buddy Dave, teaching me in the parking lot of Home Depot how to do all that, & within minutes I felt I had it down & was out on the road. Road, not freeway, as this bike could hit 56 top end with a tail wind & a cop chasing after me. A wonderful bike to learn the basics & take my test. I hated to trade it in...

Once again, weeks turned into months & I decided to step up to something bigger, faster, stronger... so I purchased a 2014 Suzuki S40 Boulevard. A wonderful bike! 650cc. I can plant my feet firmly on the ground when sitting at a light. A person that has never worked out a day in their life can pick it up out of sheer rage & frustration when it is dumped. So that's a nice feature. Nice & shiny, fast as all get out. When I am at a stop light (at the front of the line as I love lane sharing), as soon as the light changes, I am 1/2 a block down the street, as the 4 wheel folks are just crossing the intersection.

Not having a visible gas gauge other than looking in the tank, has led to the bike running out of gas 3 times since I purchased it. I really need to learn to locate the reserve fuel valve while driving. Gets very good gas mileage compared to my car. Fun to ride at 45 - 50 mph & OK at 75, but it does seem to put a strain on the 1 cylinder engine. Getting ready for my 4,000 mile check up & hope they can figure out a couple of things... it does seem to jerk a bit engine-wise when in 3rd gear doing about 25-30, & it whines & cries when sitting in the parking lot. I get on it in the morning & I hear this distinctive whine coming out of the gas tank. I am used to it, but it is really irritating at times. It's like I brought a kid with me.

I gave this bike mostly all 8s as I don't have much experience to rank it any higher or lower. I am really glad I bought this bike. It is great for all around town on surface streets for sure, but not for long hauls. That is why I am looking at an 86 Kawasaki Contours. 2 bikes are better than 1. I recently test drove a new Harley Street Bob & was not impressed. By the time I got up to 65, I thought I was going 85. At a light, it just vibrated like crazy. Then I cam back & test drove a V-Rod. Very nice bike! I would consider trading bike for bike for my Suzuki.

If you are looking for a great looking, real easy to handle fun like bike, I recommend the Suzuki, but ride the M50 first before you buy the S40.

Review Date: 18th February, 2015