2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from United States of America

Summary:

Just a reliable, fun bike with a surprising amount of muscle

Really nothing has gone wrong. I've not had to do any repairs as such. Just maintenance and upgrades.

General Comments:

People keep calling it a starter bike. When I had my first 650 in 1972, that was considered a pretty decent sized bike. Unless you plan on doing real highway riding (it's just too light when those trucks buzz by you), the bike will do pretty much anything you like. I live in a small town in Kentucky and have LOTS of nice rolling country roads. Most of my riding is 50-65 on them, and the bike will do that all day effortlessly.

It is a very fun bike to ride, easy to sling around.

Pros:

Easy to maintain if you have some basic wrenching skills. Even if you pay for it, valve adjustments are way cheaper than the shim/bucket method that most bikes now use. It's air cooled with a single carb.

Oil changes are a breeze.

Negatives:

Cam chain adjuster is bad design that could easily be fixed, but Suzuki won't do it. If you get the bike, plan on getting the Verslavy mod and preventing an expensive failure down the road.

Petcock is problem prone but very easy and cheap to replace with a Yamaha Raptor 660.

Seat is hard on your butt. Plan on getting some sort of accessory like an AirHawk or gel or something in that line. Makes a big difference for long rides.

Stock tires are mediocre; research and get better tires when they wear out.

(pro & con) - While the bike comes from the factory WAY too lean, it is easy to rejet the carb which makes a significant difference in the bike's performance. Along with that I recommend ditching the stock exhaust. It is very quiet, but far too restrictive. With a rejetted carb and a Jardine slip on, mine runs much better and has noticeably better pickup. 0-65 is nice. I have no trouble keeping up with my Harley riding buddies.

Suggestions if you buy this bike: Because it is virtually unchanged for decades there is a large pool of owners out there with a lot of experience on them. Suzukisavage.com is the best resource for knowledge & support I have ever seen for a bike. It has made ownership of this bike so much easier and nicer.

I have seriously looked at a number of other bikes and I can't bring myself to give up my S40.

Review Date: 26th July, 2018

2015 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from Australia

Summary:

Serves its purpose well, and it's a blast through the twisties!

Zilch.

General Comments:

Great for an old (70+) fart. Low seat height & low weight. Good fuel economy. Had a couple of glitches with the electrics which were easily sorted (ex-sparky). Home brew screen & rear box make it a great general purpose ride.

Status: Local roads are a mix of ball-bearing gravel & "interesting" bitumen in Western NSW, which have yet to break anything, although it has been bogged!

Air filter needs to be watched.

Review Date: 18th February, 2018

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40 from Canada

Summary:

I like it lot. I would recommend this bike for new/old riders alike

So far, I've had only one issue, squeaky drive belt. Repair was $280.00 Cdn.; seemed high to me.

General Comments:

I really like my S40. I am 5'8", 31 inch leg. This bike hauls my 205 lb. carcass around no problem. I find the size and weight very manageable. The reliability and low maintenance are also appealing.

The initial purchase price was manageable for me, it was previous year stock, so I shaved $800 off, I bought it for $6,200 cdn. all tax included.

So far I'm on the factory supplied battery.

I add Seafoam to the full tank for winter storage; last spring it fired up quickly.

I just got new Michelin Commander 2 tires for it; I can't wait to see how it rolls with those on it. The reviews for those tires are very favorable.

The seat is broken in, not as hard as it was when new. I really like the styling of this bike. It corners and leans very nicely. I also like the quiet exhaust tone. I enjoy the occasional backfire, it adds to the character.

Review Date: 21st January, 2018