2000 Suzuki TL1000R from United States of America

Summary:

The TL1000R truly still is the only one of its kind

Outer clutch cover leak.

Push-rod seal leak.

Blown fuse - fuel pump.

Common charring on voltage wire (solid red) leading to starter relay.

Charging system.

Wiring.

General Comments:

I have owned a lot of bikes over my 15 years of riding, to include the GS550E, GSX-R 1100, ZX7R, and Daytona T595 to name a few, but the TL1000R is by far my favorite. The best comment I can leave is one quoted from a forum I once came across, where an OP questioned the difference between an inline-4 and a V-Twin. The answer given was flawless - "An inline-4 sounds like a bumble bee farting in a tin can, where the V-Twin sounds like the devil and his horsemen coming for you on a thundery night." The proof is in the pudding. After racing through the canyons one day, I actually had a fellow rider confess that I scared him when I went past. How many folks can say they've been told that about their inline-4s?

Sound and esthetics aside, the bike is comfortable and solid. All things being equal however, the TLR does require some modifications in order to correct well known design defects. Seals, wiring, etc... It can be a real headache, but well worth it in the end.

Review Date: 15th October, 2015

2001 Suzuki TL1000R from United States of America

Summary:

Best bang for your buck

Sprockets wear fast because of torque from the v twin. They need to bring back the TL; they are lasting longer than the GSX.

General Comments:

This is the all around sport bike. Not the fastest, but the best built all around.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2010

16th Jan 2014, 06:43

Everybody seems to slate these bikes in the biking world, but with some small improvements for what I think is little money, major changes can be made to one brilliant motorcycle. Hence I have owned one for a number of years now, and really can't see anything on the market at the moment to better what I have with the improvements I've made to her. Go buy yourselves one, and try one awesome bit of kit. You'll not be disappointed.

Regards, Jim Rizla TL1000R

2000 Suzuki TL1000R from Australia

Summary:

What a bike, V-Twin King

Cam chain tightener replaced.

Gaskets replaced.

Fuel tank diaphragm replaced.

General Comments:

TL1000R... I have never been so in love with a machine. I have owned and ridden bikes from the age of 5 and have "Always" owned a bike from that time, even if they did sit in the garage for 3 months at a time. I have NO idea why it is people have put this bike down.

I thrash the living hell out of this poor thing, and have done for 4 years and it hasn't missed a beat. This includes using it for the last 2 years as my main transportation. It rarely has the front wheel on the ground, this is me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6bsG64rb94 and I kick the crap out of "ALL" the 4 cylinder boy racers on all the twisties (happy to prove that by the way).

If you have owned one and didn't like it, you simply didn't know how to tame the beast. 4 cylinder is the way for you.

I truly believe though that this is a big mans bike, I am 6'4 and I am positive it's the reason I can throw it around. My last bike was an R1, and while it was enjoyable, it was and never could be a TLR. Not just that, R1's, GSXR's, Ninjas, blah blah, they are all very common.

I highly recommend Metzeler M3 tyres. They are the best I have had on the Beast so far, and improved rideability 100%.

If your thinking of getting one, don't let anyone talk you out of it; I almost did, and I can't believe what I would have missed out on.

Don't be scared... tame it if you can, it separates men from boys.

LONG LIVE TL1000R.

What the hell do I buy next??

Review Date: 14th July, 2008

21st Aug 2012, 21:38

A 2005 RC51 should be your next toy if you like the TL1000r.