2002 Suzuki TL1000R from Australia

Lots of character, don't expect to tame it!

Thermo fans not kickin in earlier.

General Comments:

This is a great bike if you want something different with some character, but don't expect to tame this beast.

Steering damper is too stiff for around town, but excellent in 100+ klm corners.

Might want to add a tooth on the rear sprocket to add a bit of excitement in lower speeds; this bike wants to boogey past 140 klm.

Each side of the seat where the inside of your leg touches the frame, it gets REAL hot!!

The best headlights I have ever experienced.

This is a real head turner, I have the 2002 yellow model with twin Yoshi kits and the note sounds awesome!

Doesn't have a helmet lock.

Blinkers look a bit dorky as they stick out a bit too much.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2005

5th Feb 2006, 17:25

There is a helmet lock. Two tabs under the seat, and the seat needs the key to be removed.

The bike does need a Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) to get rid of hesitation when WOT. Up three teeth in the rear is the best cheap mod, but I only have +1 and it is fine for now.

This bike is truly unique. If you can get a hold of one, do it. You will not regret it. Check out TLPlanet.com - I am da-rainman.

8th Nov 2014, 22:49

I have owned a 2000 model now for 4 months and I love it! It's a beast.

2003 Suzuki TL1000R from United States of America

Awesome bike, you either love the TLR or hate it

One of the rubber grommets for suspension is starting to deteriorate, and every now and then I get a false neutral.

General Comments:

This bike is great, but does require some seat time to get used to.

The torque is amazing and requires a gentle hand in the corners.

I still have no idea how to set up the suspension for my body type, but I have gotten used to the stock settings.

I have replaced the stock seat with a gel seat for comfort.

Review Date: 12th April, 2005

29th May 2010, 10:30

I agree this is a great bike, when I can get it to run. I've had major starting issues with this bike. I'm wondering if anyone knows why this bike is sooo hard to start. Once I get it running, it runs great, but once I turn it off, I can't get it started again. I've changed out the fuel filter, battery, spark plugs, and the starter relay and it still won't start. Can anybody help me? antoniobpi@hotmail.com or 704-733-7792 Antonio

27th Sep 2010, 17:20

A lot of time, the starting problem is the choke. It may need to be re-adjusted. Also it is a cold hearted bike, but only needs a quarter choke.

24th Feb 2013, 07:57

I own a 02 and 03 TL1000R. Recently I let my 03 sit in the garage for a few weeks, got cold and I fouled out the spark plugs. Wow, today I went and pulled out the two plugs from my 02 parts bike, they only had 4 thousand on them. Cleaned them and installed the one under the tank. Heated up the garage a bit, battery was fully charged, the bike cranked right up on the one cylinder, and the other fouled out plug cleared up once it got hot.

If you have problems starting, you fouled the plugs up, you're cooked and will have to pull the plugs and clean them.

Hoping this info will help.

David A Bonito, Fayetteville, Georgia.

19th Sep 2015, 20:49

Clean the injectors. Your bike is probably running rich, plugs looking sooty, they become carbon-fouled, very hard to cold start. Gummed up injectors will shoot a stream of fuel instead of a spray or mist. The bike runs OK, but not as good as it will after cleaning the injectors. Cold start problem will be remedied. Don't forget to put fresh plugs in after injector cleaning.