Yamaha FJ1200 Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2011
Distance when acquired47000 kilometres
Most recent distance53000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleYamaha Maxim 750

Summary:

Solid, fast, reliable bike that's easy to maintain

I personally maintain the bike, so I would only mention problems with it that are NOT due to neglect.

1. The bike was designed with a sealed battery, and it is charged/maintained by its alternator/generator that has an internal voltage regulator. The voltage regulator eventually fails probably due to the heat and vibration from the engine. The result is the battery's short life from over charging. The battery basically, and eventually gets cooked. A $28 external adjustable voltage regulator mounted elsewhere cured the problem.

2. The clutch plates have a wire circlip installed among them. (Rumor has it that Yamaha used it to during assembly). The cir-clip has broke and took a chunk out of a clutch plate. I removed the circlip and replaced the plate. 30 minute job. With the bike on the side stand, you don't even need to drain the oil!

3. 'Whistling gas cap'. Rubber vent flaps in the gas cap eventually harden and restrict air flow to vent the tank. Remove the rubber flaps from the internals of the gas cap assembly. They're not needed. 20 minutes? I did this myself and I don't claim to be a tech by any means.

These 3 design flaws are the only ones I have encountered with the bike. The rest is preventable with regular maintenance.

General Comments:

Incredible bike all around! I have had some good bikes that lasted, but not like this one. The bike is so easy to work on! If I can maintain it properly, anyone can! The FJ platform is a gold mine as well for easy performance improvements. Different parts from newer bikes can be installed to increase horsepower and performance dramatically, if need be. Presently, I have no need to increase the performance or horsepower!

I haven't the guts to drag my knee, but I love to push it and have fun as best I can. It has tons of power for me! With just aftermarket 'cans' (the rest of the bike is stock), it can stay with, and drive by new 600RR's.

The bike is the ultimate tourer as well. It has the strength needed to carry my wife and I, and three large side and top cases, and be comfortable enough to drive across country.

What a fast, solid bike! The looks are there too!

Review Date: 6th February, 2011

1986 Yamaha FJ1200 from United States of America

Model year1986
Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleSuzuki GSX-R1100

Summary:

Old school rocket!!!

For my 1986 FJ1200, the gas petcock would leak after sitting for 24hrs, and flow out of the carb over flow hoses, and new friction plates in the clutch.

General Comments:

I have been riding for 26 years, always and all year, even winter. I have had many motorcycles: 3 GSXR 1100s. My last bike was a 1990 GSXR 1100; great bike, but not comfortable, and not on long trips.

Now my bike is a 1986 Yamaha FJ1200. It's very comfortable anytime or all day long riding. This this FJ1200 pulls very hard in every gear. The best and fastest roll-on out there for carburated bikes. This FJ1200 might be old, but will still bite most all of your late model sport bikes to date, stop light to stop light, and for a 570lb motorcycle, it handles like it's on rails.

Review Date: 19th November, 2010

5th Jun 2012, 22:39

Just purchased an '89 with 69,000 miles. Complete fluid change, fuel line cleaner, and it was on. I have replaced the front sprocket and chain at 72,000. Piece by piece, getting it maintained.

OMG!!! This bike is a train. It never stops pulling. Rolled the throttle in 5th; the RPM just climbs steadily all the way to red line.

Coming from an older Honda Sabre to this '89 FJ... Yamaha got it right!!

1991 Yamaha FJ1200 from United States of America

Model year1991
Year of manufacture1991
First year of ownership1994
Most recent year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired22000 miles
Previous motorcycleHonda CB750

Summary:

Very very strong well engineered machine

Nothing.

Great stocky looking touring bike. I would love it if I did not have to add saddle bags and a helmet holder, but you cannot travel across the States without fishing equipment and a tent.

I have been having small difficulties; I weigh 180 LBS, the bike weighs 800 LBS. So I have dropped it a couple of times. It literally breaks my heart.

General Comments:

My FJ 1200 now keeps me awake. Very nice, ride smooth as can be, and heavy enough to withstand any winds from 18 wheelers or just side winds.

More power than anyone would need. Instantaneously... This is the first bike I did not think was too slow after the first 3 days.

No engine problems with the exception of timing chain rattle, but I understand they came out of the factory that way.

Long trips are not bad; very comfortable once you get your back muscles into shape. I want to keep it forever.

Review Date: 8th October, 2010