Yamaha FJ1200 Reviews - Page 3 of 4

Most recent year of ownership2009
Distance when acquired95000 kilometres
Most recent distance101000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleBMW K 100 RS

Summary:

Awesome "Old School" bike

I purchased the bike in replacement of my 1986 BMW K100RS that was totaled after a lady came out from side street, forcing me to avoid her and lay the bike down in the process. Insurance covered me for the bike.

This was a used bike and I did all the usual checks on it to make it safe for a "road trip" All the brakes redone, calipers taken part cleaned and 2 pistons needed light Emory cloth cleaning to remove slight pitting and roughness. Bleed the system with new fluid, after a 6000km/10 days road trip works awesome. Changed oil with Belray Synthetic oil, but could not shift properly. I have read that some bikes and synthetic don't work, changed to regular oil, worked like a charm.

Have to move the Vance and Hines exhaust header forward to change oil, which is a pain, but it's life with aftermarket headers.

Chain was checked and small adjustment made at start of trip and is still fine. Tires (Bridgestone BT45 still look good after lots of curvy roads :-)

Make sure you use some kind of "locktite" on all body fasteners, I had a few come loose and had the chin fairing almost fall off!

Everything seems to run as it should. Safe FAST and very reliable!

General Comments:

This is my 19th motorbike, I have had a mixed lot of bikes, both street and dirt. My previous 1986 BMW K100RS was a great commuter/road trip bike. It just didn't have what I term "enough giddy up and go". Well this bike does!

It has over 100,000 KM now! With a Vanes and Hines SS3 exhaust. The bike came with brand new Bridestones BT45 and they stick well in the wet, and it appears I can lean the bike all the way over to the edge of the tires, even fully loaded with strap on soft bags full of gear :-)

It has the Corbin seat and was comfortable enough for a few 300 KM full tank runs. Best tank was 327Km with still some left in bottom of tank. (all hiway 90 - 120 KMH). My bike has had the reserve switch disconnected, so used the trip meter and fuel gage, the gage reads very accurate!

Bike has proven to be very fast with a TON of grunt, once underway leave it in 5th and just roll on the throttle and adjust speed. My bike had a sharp "jump" after about 6500 rpm and feels like I was hit from behind... its awesome!

We covered almost 6000 km in 10 days from 35C to almost freezing from sea level to 6500 above and no noticeable change in power or drivability. Fuel economy was consistent 40 - 45 MPG except for one tank with spirited riding bringing it down to 35 mpg. This bike will still use almost all of the speedo from what I found out in one semi deserted section of road. :-)

I would recommend to do your research read up on these bikes, and if you need a simple/reliable/inexpensive/fast and still good looking bike, give the "ole" FJ 1200 a run.

Review Date: 14th June, 2009

Most recent year of ownership2008
Distance when acquired70000 kilometres
Most recent distance80000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleSuzuki GSX-R600

Starter burned out at 75,000ks but half expected at this age, cheap to fix.

Had nothing but pure riding bliss for the 10,000ks I've put on her.

General Comments:

This bike is not for the faint hearted; awesome sounding, frickin fast, and so far reliable as all the rave reviews say they are.

Love this bike, and recommend it for anyone looking for a cheap fast reliable bike.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2008

9th Aug 2010, 05:29

Hi. I'm in Aust. Got a 93, done 70 000 kms on her, and only ever had clutch cyl problems, apart from getting absolutely no distance out of tyres, and I live in the country where there ain't no corners, but I love her.