Yamaha FJ1200 Reviews - Page 4 of 4

Year of manufacture1992
First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership1997
Distance when acquired12000 miles

Summary:

Possibly, the ultimate driving machine

Not a lot really. Nothing serious at all, just silly little things that annoy you. Blown bulbs and the ABS system was a bit temperamental at times.

General Comments:

Best bike I've ridden. Very, very comfortable, a real mile muncher and volcanically powerful.

It wasn't a 'bum up head down' job and wasn't the fastest machine on the road, but, if you were prepared to work on it a bit, it could certainly fly.

For such a big machine, the seat wasn't high and even I, a small bloke, could touch down on both sides.

The wind shield was excellent as was the side stand engine immobilizer. The number of times I've taken off on other bikes with the side stand down!

Being a big bike with a car engine, it wasn't very economical and if you pushed it hard, the fuel consumption was pretty dire.

The engine was this bike's gem, reliable, hugely powerful 125BHP and sounded absolutely gorgeous.

If I was riding again today, I'd have another one.

If you're out there Big Bad Blue, I miss you.

Review Date: 6th May, 2008

22nd Feb 2009, 11:15

That's too bad you sold it.

I did the same mistake with a GSX 1400 a couple years ago...

Now I'm looking for a good used machine like the FJ 1200 (no cash for a new one).

30th Sep 2009, 01:49

I have a ZX9R and a FJ1200. I love the FJ1200. I'm selling the Z 9 and it's nearly new. The old FJ is much better by far. My kids don't like her 80s look, but I do love it. What a bike.

14th Jan 2010, 14:18

It's wonderful to read so many positive comments about the old FJ's. Just tonight I've agreed to buy a '91 model in original condition for a grand, and I can't wait to get my hands on her. Looking forward to all this snow melting and some warmer, lighter evenings in the summertime.

14th Nov 2010, 15:33

I have owned an FJ1200 for 20 years. The bike has covered to date 124,000 miles. Very good acceleration, comfort, 150 M.P.H, 35/43 M.P.G.

1986 Yamaha FJ1200 from United Kingdom

Model year1986
Year of manufacture1986
First year of ownership1986
Most recent year of ownership1987
Previous motorcycleKawasaki Z440 LTD

Summary:

Heavy, fast, comfy, but can be expensive to run overheats around town

2nd gear started slipping at 26,000 miles.

Clutch slipped all the time I had it.

General Comments:

I first had a Yamaha FJ1200 to use some twenty years ago now. I decided the bigger the bike, the better it would be taking it over the XJ900.

The price when bought was £2600. Today I have another; it cost me £750 on eBay.

It does not use much petrol at 45mpg, and will do 160mph according to the speedo. The motor makes a claimed 128hp @ 9000 revolutions per minute. It has also 85 ft lbs of torque at 7000rpm.

The fact is I had used it for 26000 miles. It had clutch slip all the time. I would put this down to my riding style; flat out everywhere. The engine overheated so as to make my petrol tank very hot if driving around Central London all day.

It's 'WOW' factor is the acceleration 0-100 in 6.5 seconds. I cannot recommend the rear top box and carrier by Givi; it snapped all the time and had to welded.

It has a very good reputation for reliability if driven at legal speeds.

As it over heats around town, it is for motorways or long distance riding mainly!

Review Date: 2nd March, 2008

1990 Yamaha FJ1200 from United Kingdom

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1990
First year of ownership2001
Most recent year of ownership2003
Previous motorcycleHonda CBR600F3

Summary:

Budget power

Electric fuel switch went on the blink, leading to intermittent fuel starvation until it was disconnected.

General Comments:

Massive torque, great power and good comfort.

It is heavy, but apart from that, there's really nothing to criticize.

The turbulence is more than you'd expect from its reputation, but this can be cured with a custom screen. That done, it's superb.

Keeping up the the latest, greatest 600s is a blast; without the associated back/wrist/wallet pain.

Just ditch the bellypan before you wear through it.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2006

4th Nov 2006, 17:06

The FJ1200 was and is a phat bike.

The 1TX was the first and best. This engine was king on the drag strip after the GSX1100 and only beaten by the newer oil cooled GSXR engines after that. We now have the Hayabusa engine as king, but the good old FJ will still pop your arms out of their sockets. Mine was stock and after replacing all the frame bearings, rubber, valve shim settings and carb balancing it was like new, even if it still looked rough

A heavy bike to roll in and out of the garage, R1 calipers make better stopping power. Once in feet up mode it is effortless and hyperspace fast. Will eat ANY sports race bike half its size for lunch up to and over the legal speed limit.

The early ones have a 2nd gear problem, it jumps out under hard acceleration, bad ones were factory re calls, but rare.

Get one if it is cheap, but look for warped brake disks up front, they are fabricated and wear unevenly and warp with heat, you will know about it when you feel it through the lever.

Fork seals need a special tool to undo the damper rod from inside (shop job for most) If it runs well and has a ticket, then change the oil and nail it hard, in that order.