Yamaha XJ700 Maxim X Reviews

First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2014
Distance when acquired19000 miles
Most recent distance20000 miles

Summary:

700cc open throttle baby!!!

General Comments:

Bought this Maxim for 500 bucks from some guy that had it in a warehouse. Took the carbs apart, repainted it, new clutch cable, new tires, new fuel, new spark plugs, new oil, new coolant.

This bike is a beast for being 28 years old. New seats. Love this bike!!!

Review Date: 12th July, 2014

1986 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim X from Canada

Model year1986
Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleHusqvarna 400 Enduro

Summary:

Take it to the max with Maxim X

I bought this from a fireman, in Sutton, Ont. He worked at Yamaha in 85 when it was introduced, and always wanted one but it was too expensive, 4500. So in 2005 he found a black Canadian model, more HP, not affected by embargo, and made it into pristine condition. I went to see it, he reluctantly let me ride it, and wow, explosive take off power. The sound of the engine, and when I sat on it, the retro feeling, I said yes.

Every motorcycle shop and mechanics say that it is a great bike. Very innovative for 1985.

I bought a 2009 FJR, and my friend said you don't need it, but there is something special, I was told by a lot of shops, it's super clean, keep it forever. It is better than the V-Max of that era; I rode a few, and when I get back on the Max-X, I feel a great feeling of this is it. I've ridden a lot of new machines, and when I get back on the X, I still have a smile, and I say nothing can touch this. Well, I really wouldn't go that far, but I think everyone knows what I mean. My son made me an email address. It is maximxforlife. Nice of him huh.

Review Date: 18th January, 2014

1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim X from United States of America

Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership2005
Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous motorcycleYamaha XV750 Virago

Summary:

The bike is solid and well made; I like it

The bike was stored outside for a year or more before I got it.

The seat has a tear, but this item could be repaired easily.

I had to have the carburetors cleaned, due to the long period of disuse.

It is hard to start when the weather is cold.

I tipped the bike over while pushing it; put a smooth dent in one side of the gas tank; otherwise no damage.

Several times, early on, it stopped suddenly while cranking it over to start. Took out number four spark plug to check whether the head gasket was leaking and had filled the cylinders with antifreeze. Whoosh! Out came gasoline! Lucky I didn't burn the garage down. This must occur due both to a leaky vacuum valve on the petcock and a bad carburetor float valve. I have done nothing to correct this, and the problem has not recurred, recently.

General Comments:

The bike is very quick.

I like the sound of a four cylinder engine. This engine purrs with a very pleasant sound.

I use the bike for around town travel. I have put about 1200 miles on it since getting it.

The seat is not comfortable for a long ride. I have ridden about fifty or sixty miles at a stretch. Seat gets sore, but I am 81 years old; maybe that is the problem!

Review Date: 17th October, 2012

21st Dec 2012, 15:40

Hi, my Dad has the same bike. We love it; the power band and stuff, but I got into an accident and the bike slammed down on one side. No real cosmetic damage, but now it doesn't have the same smooth feel when you rev from 6,000 RPM and up, but it sounds fine; just not as much of a power band either; more doggy in the high range power band. Idles fine though; you wouldn't know the difference unless you rode it. But anyway, we took the plugs out and tested the compression, and all the cylinders come up 10-15 compression. Is it a blown head gasket from the sudden stop in the accident?

6th Oct 2013, 10:44

Sell these junkers while they are running. Engine overhaul parts are either obsolete or way over priced. I have been customizing and restoring bikes since the 70s, and have never had so hard a time finding engine parts. If anyone out there knows without doubt where I can get head gaskets and standard rings, let me know. Please don't tell me Bike Bandit or Parts-n-more or Partzilla etc. If you are not an actual mechanic or shop, then please don't waste my time or yours sending me on a wild goose chase.

Thanks.

sales@cycletherapy.co

14th Jul 2014, 17:35

I have owned my 1986 Maxim X for more than a decade, and it currently has just under 15K miles on it. Yesterday I took it out of the garage to clean it up for possible resale, and it appears the head gasket is leaking. I am just starting to look for parts, but won't know for certain what's needed until I get it apart. Any advice on where to find gasket kits would be appreciated.

Without question, this bike has been awesome to own and ride. Just purchased a FJR1300A and am enjoying it, but can see where I will miss the Maxim X IF I let it go. Let's hope I can find the parts...