Yamaha XJ700 Maxim X Reviews - Page 2 of 7

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2012
Most recent distance19000 miles
Previous motorcycleYamaha YZF-R1

Summary:

Love it to bits (nearly as much as the wife??) Truly one of Yamaha's greats!

Replaced the starter motor at 16000 miles; 25 years old!

Problem with a bad connection, which took me months to find!

Slight misfiring at 5000 RPM, but not a problem with the riding of the bike.

General Comments:

I have always had sports bikes, and at the moment I have an R1, which of course is breakneck fast.

I bought the Maxim X from a friend, who had owned it for 8 years, but never really used it; it sat in his garage gathering dust. This bike was imported into the UK from the States in 1991. I ended up with it, because my friend didn't have time for it, hence I became the new owner with no regrets; in fact I cannot believe how lucky I am... what a bike!

I was amazed to see how much power comes from the Maxim X 700cc engine. Straight line power is something else. A lovely bike to ride, with comfort and power combined surprisingly well. Not the best bike on handling, but a pleasure to ride. Superb around town, with the big plus of a low seat and feet touching the ground easily!! Well balanced.

The engine sounds fantastic! Great in the country at fairly high speeds; once you go above 100mph you do get a bit battered!! But to be fair, it's not really designed for that.

In conclusion, a fantastic bike, and its design is ageless. Many people have been taken back that it's 25 years old, and looks a much younger bike! I'm amazed how much power you get from the engine! A great all rounder, with many years of fun to come from it yet.

Review Date: 20th July, 2012

1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim X from United States of America

Model year1985
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous motorcycleHonda VF1100C

Summary:

As perfect as one can get!!

Drivetrain became loose, had a new transmission put in, but didn't seem to effect or help the situation any, but the bike is fine, and fun to ride.

General Comments:

The V65 is an awesome bike to ride, handles like a larger bike would handle, and super quick all the way through, and just doesn't want to stop. I have put 45000 miles on this one, and wouldn't sell at all.

Review Date: 7th May, 2011

1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim X from Canada

Model year1985
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleYamaha XS400 Special

Flasher won't work stay on!

Carb flooded; fix that.

Overheating, found bad wires and set up carbs.

Review Date: 26th April, 2011

9th Sep 2011, 23:21

This bike is a great bike, it runs like a champ, so most likely your problem is the carb needs to be cleaned.

1986 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim X from United States of America

Model year1986
First year of ownership1986
Most recent year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleYamaha XJ600

Summary:

I love it

Carbs had problems, requiring a rebuild because jets were clogged. This happened because the bike had been idle for almost two years, and the jets became gummed up, so it would start missing on a cylinder.

Disk brakes required a complete rebuild because they got hung up. The dealership said people just replace them at over $235.00 a piece. I did not, but instead separated them into halves and cleaned out all the built up crud from hardened old oil. I used a rebuild kit, which includes the gaskets and seals. Cleaning and flushing, and they work great.

Misfires caused by the plastic casing on the coil developing age cracks would let moisture in. I bit the bullet and replaced it, and put in new spark plug caps. Now runs great. It was cheaper, and fit fine when I used straight plug caps instead of the 45 degree angle caps.

One other trouble I had was instruments failing from time to time. It turns out the ground for them is a wire that is held by the same bolt that holds the thermostat to the frame. The bolt can't fall off, but it can come loose. Put on a lock washer and tightened it up.

Always check the battery water level a minimum of once a month. Always pull the battery out and give it a slap to get the air bubbles out of it. Recently after a hot month of summer driving with a new battery, the slap made it go from the top of the low water mark to less than a 1/3 full. If the battery is full to spec and properly charged, you will not have trouble starting it right away.

Remember my troubles were over 24 years of single person ownership. It had been stored outside in New England weather. Only in the last 4 winters has it been garage stored. I had the seats redone, and since I was in no rush, the guy charged me $125.00 for both seats and the sissy bar.

General Comments:

I love it because I'm now 64, and it is nimble to handle and light enough to be comfortable. I can sit on it and put my feet flat on the ground with no troubles. You can get out into traffic fast with no worries.

I do need to always put the bike on the center stand when I fill it with gas, otherwise it has a habit of leaking back out of the tank in a slosh over, which can startle you.

I love riding it, and have often done 200+ mile days, just making sure I take breaks about every 60 miles. Because of the area I ride in, that is good because my tank will be about half empty, so if I fill it, then I don't need to start getting nervous at 130 miles waiting for the low gas warning indicator to come on while looking for a station.

Several years ago, I put highway pegs on the case savers, and placing my legs level really helps unload my back, so I have no back problems, but like all rides, I do get a case of "buttitis" from sitting so long.

Review Date: 15th September, 2010