1986 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from Canada

Summary:

Great highway vehicle

Generally the dashboard display has mind of its own. The fuel level oscillates from max to zero even after the fill up at the gas station. Fuel level warning is constantly on. High beams (blue light) going on and off, regardless of actual light.

General Comments:

Despite the minor electronic glitches, which one has to accept as a sign of age (25 year old vehicle), it is a comfortable and dependable bike. Meant definitely more for highways and long distance rides than congested city streets. Has sufficient power and torque (comes in handy during heavy traffic). During passing of the slower vehicles, it easily and without hesitation goes into speeds that could bring the attention of traffic cops.

It took me some time to get use to a whining noise of the gears.

It would be nice if lights, both High and Low beams were stronger. Brakes are good; anti diving system adds to the comfort. Some plastics were cracked. Somehow I believe that this is not necessarily the age caused brittleness, but rather the sign of some "history(ies)"...

Fuel mileage, the average after 5000 miles, is 36 MPG (6.5 l/100km). After all, it is a full size cruiser, not a moped.

Review Date: 25th October, 2012

23rd Oct 2014, 11:50

Plastic: It appears to be an issue with the plastic itself. Most of the plastic is available either salvage or aftermarket EXCEPT the two halves of the main front fairing. You can find the salvage, but the mount locations are almost always cracked. I had to completely rebuild and reinforce all my mounts, and it was quite a bit of work to do it right. I used plastic welder, mesh metal screen, & fiberglass & resin (where there was room). If I ever drop this bike the fairing is toast.

Even with the other plastic pieces, it is important that you do not tighten the screws down. Take down until just touching and use a blue Loctite. The rattling and squeaking can get annoying, so I found some thin sticky back felt like sheeting to place under those areas, though whatever you use cannot be very thick. Also watch the size of washers that go down into the plastic mount holes. These should be very loose fitting on OD (snug OD fits blow out plastic real quick).

28th Nov 2014, 19:47

The bike as you say is 25 years old.

In reference to the high and low beam headlights being a bit weak, change out the light bulb (H4?). That cured the 1991 BMW K100RS I bought last year.

This weekend I'm picking up a 1990 Venture Royal and will change out all the light bulbs. Good luck with your bike (and to my purchase, LOL).

1989 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from Japan

Summary:

Excellent

Headlights out.

Compressor not working for suspension.

General Comments:

Runs great.

However not as comfortable as cruisers.

Review Date: 9th March, 2012

1991 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from United States of America

Summary:

If they don't dissolve at speed, it's the best ever made by the hand of man

The bike went into high speed wobble at only 60-65mph, and threw me off the bike. Witnesses in a car nearby said I was within the speed limit, in control, and suddenly the bike went into a severe wobble and tossed me off.

Anyone had any other problems with suspension, front forks, slight bump causing severe wobble, or knowledge of same? Please contact me.

General Comments:

Only had 24,400 miles on this 1991 Venture Royale. Loved it, and loved my 83 Venture even more before this one.

Review Date: 4th August, 2011

25th Sep 2011, 23:03

Check out venturerider.org. You will find answers to all your questions, as well as advice from some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people about the venture. I have had my 89 up as high as 130 mph without any issue, so you must have something wrong. Tires could be part of the issue. Mine wobbled at 60 mph when I had Avon tires on it. Although they are a great tire, they just don't seem to agree with the 83 - 93 model year Ventures.