1987 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from United States of America

Summary:

Power, comfort, smooth as butter on the highway

Air ride is currently not working. will check the circuit board. Other than that... Nothing.

General Comments:

Crazy powerful for a heavy bike.

Crazy comfortable.

Crazy good gas mileage for a heavy bike.

I love, love, love this bike. Will never get rid of it.

Review Date: 7th October, 2010

16th Jan 2012, 10:56

I found a 1989 Venture Royale with extremely low miles. 3900 at the time of purchase. The gas mileage stinks, only about 35 mpg. It appears some previous owner messed with the carbs and jetted them. Would that cause my low mileage? Can I change it back to stock?

Other than that, the bike is awesome. Handles great, runs awesome, and all day long comfort.

8th Nov 2014, 07:10

I recently bought a 1987 Yamaha Venture Royale XVZ13DW that had been converted to the one barrel carburetor. Gas mileage stinks. Maybe 8 miles per gallon. Also am running into plastic breaking around screws. The previous owner had let the bike go down hill and I think he knew he had found the right person to take it off his hands.

I've had the bike for over a month and have only ridden it for 4, maybe 5 hours. It rides and handles like a dream. But the hours of labor and parts I've had to buy for it, kind of takes the fun out of it. Seems like all the plastic is falling off, and requires lots of fiber glassing and reinforcing just to hopefully get it back together again someday. Thought I was getting something to ride, but in about two days was in for a big surprise. It may be ready to ride by the middle of next summer and probably $4000.00 more than I paid for it. You just never know what you're getting when you buy anything used.

Had a Harley Ultra Glide Classic before this one. The Yamaha beats the ride of the Harley, if you can keep it together. The Yamaha is much more top heavy than the Harley. It is not a city bike. It will fall quickly if you're not careful. This one just fell over one day with no one around it.

Great ride though, if I ever get to ride it again, and can afford the gas.

1987 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from United States of America

Summary:

The Yamaha Venture Royale is a "800 pound Crotch Rocket"!

One of the first things I repaired was the fuse box. It contained 5 glass BUSS type fuses, and I converted it to ATC type fuses with a new fuse box. Excellent upgrade!

The next issue I addressed was the "Linked" braking system. I de-linked the front and rear brakes, and because the front calipers had two different piston sizes, I switched to Yamaha R1 calipers in the front. To say that the braking was different would be an understatement!

General Comments:

My 1987 Yamaha Venture Royale is featured in the Wikipedia online Encyclopedia in "The History of the Yamaha Venture Royale". Right side of page, third bike down.

I have owned 5 of these Ventures, and this 1987 is the nicest one I have owned.

I have personally put over 40,000 miles on this Venture, and you would be hard pressed to find a faster, more comfortable motorcycle for the money. It is a shame that Yamaha doesn't make them any more.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2010

10th Jun 2012, 18:45

I would like to know how you managed the fuse box conversion? What did you use to put it together, and could I get some pics? Thanks, Bill.

wbath@neo.rr.com

23rd Sep 2014, 17:07

"I was looking for a bit more "Getty-up", and to achieve this I swapped out the stock VR final drive with a 2005 FJR1300 final drive. Totally different bike now."

What do you mean by that? It sounds very interesting. I would like to know more about that.

Thank you.