Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership2010
Previous motorcycleHarley-Davidson FLSTF Fat Boy

Summary:

Power, comfort, smooth as butter on the highway

Air ride is currently not working. will check the circuit board. Other than that... Nothing.

General Comments:

Crazy powerful for a heavy bike.

Crazy comfortable.

Crazy good gas mileage for a heavy bike.

I love, love, love this bike. Will never get rid of it.

Review Date: 7th October, 2010

16th Jan 2012, 10:56

I found a 1989 Venture Royale with extremely low miles. 3900 at the time of purchase. The gas mileage stinks, only about 35 mpg. It appears some previous owner messed with the carbs and jetted them. Would that cause my low mileage? Can I change it back to stock?

Other than that, the bike is awesome. Handles great, runs awesome, and all day long comfort.

1987 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from United States of America

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership2007
Previous motorcycleHonda VF1100C

Summary:

The Yamaha Venture Royale is a "800 pound Crotch Rocket"!

One of the first things I repaired was the fuse box. It contained 5 glass BUSS type fuses, and I converted it to ATC type fuses with a new fuse box. Excellent upgrade!

The next issue I addressed was the "Linked" braking system. I de-linked the front and rear brakes, and because the front calipers had two different piston sizes, I switched to Yamaha R1 calipers in the front. To say that the braking was different would be an understatement!

I was looking for a bit more "Getty-up", and to achieve this I swapped out the stock VR final drive with a 2005 FJR1300 final drive. Totally different bike now.

General Comments:

My 1987 Yamaha Venture Royale is featured in the Wikipedia online Encyclopedia in "The History of the Yamaha Venture Royale". Right side of page, third bike down.

I have owned 5 of these Ventures, and this 1987 is the nicest one I have owned.

I have personally put over 40,000 miles on this Venture, and you would be hard pressed to find a faster, more comfortable motorcycle for the money. It is a shame that Yamaha doesn't make them any more.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2010

10th Jun 2012, 18:45

I would like to know how you managed the fuse box conversion? What did you use to put it together, and could I get some pics? Thanks, Bill.

wbath@neo.rr.com

1991 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from United States of America

Model year1991
Year of manufacture1991
First year of ownership2002
Previous motorcycleHonda CX500

Summary:

Fabulous

Stater went out at approx 60k, and the clutch slips when hot.

General Comments:

I have been cycling for nearly 40 yrs. I have never had a more comfortable, reliable, quick motorcycle. I admittedly have never owned or ridden something in the Hayabusa class, but the Venture NEVER lacked for power, handling and braking under any conditions.

Unfortunately I hit something slick one day and I broke a lot of plastic and a bunch of my bones, not to mention my pride. I healed, but I have yet to repair the damage to my trusty mount. I have other bikes, but I would dearly like to restore him to at least ridable condition.

I have not enjoyed another bike quite as much as the Venture, before or since. I presently ride a Goldwing and it is nice, but doesn't hold a candle to the Venture.

If you know of any source of fairing parts for a 91 Venture Royale, please email me.

Thank you. Gary at; garyimpett@yahoo.com

Review Date: 11th January, 2010

1984 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from United States of America

Model year1984
Year of manufacture1984
First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership1998
Previous motorcycleYamaha Maxim 650

Summary:

Not a bad touring bike for the money

Seat was worn and split.

Trunk and saddle bags cracked.

Gear shifter was loose and worn.

General Comments:

The bike handled good and had plenty of power.

Compared to my current bike (1994 Honda Goldwing GL1500), the frame of the Venture Royale was not very sturdy, especially when carrying a passenger.

Review Date: 31st August, 2008

1986 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from United States of America

Model year1986
Year of manufacture1986
First year of ownership1987
Most recent distance42000 miles
Previous motorcycleHarley-Davidson FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Summary:

Superb!

During the time I owned my 1986 Venture, all I did was regular maintenance.

General Comments:

Very dependable, very quick, very comfortable! I would love to find another one with fairly low miles.

markllano@hotmail.com

Most recent year of ownership2006
Distance when acquired72000 kilometres
Most recent distance90000 kilometres
Previous motorcycleHonda CB900C

Summary:

Very powerful touring bike

The only defective item on this bike has been 2nd gear.

It has deteriorated to the point where it can no longer tolerate heavy acceleration in second gear, without popping into neutral.

The clutch had to be replaced at about 85,000 Km. At the point before replacement, it would slip slightly under hard acceleration in 4th and 5th gear.

General Comments:

Hands down the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. After a full day's ride, I can get off and feel like I've only been riding for an hour.

Huge amount of power for a bike this size (754 lbs.).

Slow speed handling is second to none for a bike this size, but you better have both feet well planted when it's standing still. Very top heavy. When it's moving, you don't even notice the weight.

The styling is very sleek and unique. I would never have considered this bike before I took one for a test ride. Now I wouldn't ride anything else (and I've ridden a lot of bikes).

Lots of luggage space. Great touring bike.

Review Date: 21st May, 2008

1st Jul 2010, 22:51

Looking for timing specs for my 1986 Yamaha Royal Venture?

5th Aug 2012, 13:11

Interesting similarity.

I also upgraded from a Honda CB900C to a 1986 Venture (not Royal, but on the way to becoming close, after original radio is installed, Project #1).

I have similar observation regarding slow speed handling, or exactly "legging" while standing: 2 feet on the ground!

I was also looking for other than a Venture bike until this one came up (reasonable advertised asking price can make wonders).

I'm happy so far.

I'll wait with posting my own comments until more miles are acquired. It is at approx. 800 miles now.

I keep a very detailed log of expenses and fuel mileage (for tax reasons). Will keep you and others posted to know what the potential used vehicle buyers will be facing. Hopefully not much, as this vehicle's reliability is not affected by its age. So what others are saying. We'll see.