1984 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from Canada

Summary:

Very powerful touring bike

The only defective item on this bike has been 2nd gear.

It has deteriorated to the point where it can no longer tolerate heavy acceleration in second gear, without popping into neutral.

The clutch had to be replaced at about 85,000 Km. At the point before replacement, it would slip slightly under hard acceleration in 4th and 5th gear.

General Comments:

Hands down the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. After a full day's ride, I can get off and feel like I've only been riding for an hour.

Huge amount of power for a bike this size (754 lbs.).

Slow speed handling is second to none for a bike this size, but you better have both feet well planted when it's standing still. Very top heavy. When it's moving, you don't even notice the weight.

The styling is very sleek and unique. I would never have considered this bike before I took one for a test ride. Now I wouldn't ride anything else (and I've ridden a lot of bikes).

Lots of luggage space. Great touring bike.

Review Date: 21st May, 2008

1st Jul 2010, 22:51

Looking for timing specs for my 1986 Yamaha Royal Venture?

5th Aug 2012, 13:11

Interesting similarity.

I also upgraded from a Honda CB900C to a 1986 Venture (not Royal, but on the way to becoming close, after original radio is installed, Project #1).

I have similar observation regarding slow speed handling, or exactly "legging" while standing: 2 feet on the ground!

I was also looking for other than a Venture bike until this one came up (reasonable advertised asking price can make wonders).

I'm happy so far.

I'll wait with posting my own comments until more miles are acquired. It is at approx. 800 miles now.

I keep a very detailed log of expenses and fuel mileage (for tax reasons). Will keep you and others posted to know what the potential used vehicle buyers will be facing. Hopefully not much, as this vehicle's reliability is not affected by its age. So what others are saying. We'll see.

1983 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from Canada

Summary:

The most reliable bike ever!

Not much if anything has gone wrong with this motorcycle. The stator went, but was not difficult to replace. The usual things like tires and brakes to be maintained, but engine wise you cannot kill this thing!

General Comments:

This motorcycle was Yamaha's attempt to get in on the touring market going up against rival Honda's Gold Wing. Well Yamaha took the motorcycle market by storm when they built this bike.

Some people claim that the Venture is top heavy. Well that may be so, but I've owned two of these bikes and have not had problems steering or holding it up.

My first Venture was just as good as my second Venture. The first one was lost in a fire, but I immediately knew I wanted another Venture. They are extremely reliable and proven! Anyone wanting a proven and reliable bike need look no further.

Review Date: 9th April, 2007

30th Apr 2011, 16:02

On a 1983 Yamaha Venture XVZ12, looking for information on the charging system. Where is it located and how do I remove the stator?

On the ignition system, I have fire on two plugs. What could be the cause that there's no fire on the other two?

On the ignition system, does the fire come from the rotor or a distributor, or a stator?

1984 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from United States of America

Summary:

I love this bike

One cylinder began to fail when water got into the electric harness on a rainy trip from Florida to upstate New York.

Head light got dimmer and dimmer, I checked the voltage with the meter and found only 5 volts were reaching the lamp, so I wired it direct from the battery.

On my trip from N.Y. to Mexico and back, I felt very uncomfortable at times for fear of running out of gas.

At 800 lb. this machine is getting the best of me. If I lay it down, I cannot pick it up by myself any more, I'm 71. So my eye is on the FJR, at 522 lb. it's going to be a relief.

General Comments:

This darn bike is definitely going to outlive me!

People don't believe me when I say it's got 150 K miles. I have to show them my maintenance log.

Review Date: 4th July, 2006

24th Nov 2007, 21:59

Wasn't the 84 a 1200CC?

1989 Yamaha XVZ1300D Venture Royale from United States of America

Summary:

Superb machine, too bad they're discontinued

Over the 8 years I've had the machine, the most costly replacement was the stator. I understand these usually go out around the 50k-60k mark.

Recently, I replaced the carburator diaphragms, seems they also tend to wear out around the 50-60k mark.

I also recently replaced the clutch, it began slipping under acceleration in 4th & 5th gears. Actually, I'm surprised the clutch lasted as long as it did considering the PO used to haul a rather large trailer behind the bike.

General Comments:

The 1st Generation Yamaha Ventures were direct competition to Honda's Goldwings. In my opinion, Yamaha did a great job in keeping the pressure on Honda. The Venture handled better than the Goldwing, & when Yamaha bored the engine out to 1300cc, even Honda's 1500/6 Goldwing could barely match the Venture for power & acceleration.

The Venture was as comfortable as the Wing, though it had a more sporting seating arrangement. You feel like you're riding "in" a Venture, while you feel like you're riding "on" a Goldwing.

Review Date: 20th June, 2005

13th Jan 2006, 01:11

I agree with the writer mostly. Unfortunately my Venture was a real lemon. It had mostly good days, but I never owned a motorcyle with so many production defects.

The brake rotors were of a sub par material, hence the pads wore out quickly.

The seat stitching came apart after a year.

The plastic pieces were really junky quality.

I could go on about all of the times I had to take it back to the dealer the first 7 years I owned it. I still have it, but it has so many issues I am considering cannibalizing it to the ebay crowd.

A sweet bike when it wasn't being depended on.