14th Sep 2011, 12:08

On my Honda CH 80, I leave the side panels off. Push a small rag over the air box intake briefly when cranking for cold starts.

The mileage is a consistent 100 per gallon when not pushed.

I buy used tires for the rear.

It will do 45mph, and 50mph down hill, but I cruise around 40.

A piece of plastic at the correct angle doesn't change these standards, and keeps the wind rain and noise away.

The muffler broke off the exhaust pipe. A small hose clamp over exhaust pipe repair material keeps it quiet and flexible at that vulnerable mid-point.

I would feel better carrying an extra 12 volt gel cell battery for emergency.

I carry stuff in a 5 gallon bucket for portability, held on the floor with bungee cords.

After the inexperience and overconfidence stages, stay focused, and expect cars and even pedestrians not to see you.

15th Mar 2012, 07:25

I cannot thank you enough for this article! A friend is having the exact same problem with his Elite 80. I recommended the larger pilot jet, but knew from his description of the problem, it would not eliminate it entirely. Over the years, I too have admired Honda for advanced thought and 'leading edge' reliability of their products -- but have been a bit disappointed by this particular design. A simple choke lever is not really beyond the ability of many of us. Anyway, THANKS SO MUCH for this!

3rd Jun 2012, 08:39

I have a 1987 Honda Elite 80 and need to know how to take the front tire off, so I can change it? Thanks if you can help me.

6th Jun 2012, 20:26

OK, I finally got tire off and changed. Thanks!

1st Sep 2012, 16:31

My 87 Honda Elite 80cc is doing the same thing as yours. Any suggestions on how you fixed it?

6th Sep 2012, 10:42

No, not at all. I bought mine with 13k miles on it for $775. It's a Honda and they are hard to kill.

19th Nov 2013, 15:25

You need to buy a jet kit. In winter, the air is more dense, I.E. more O2 per CFM; that means you need a bigger jet air:fuel.

7th Apr 2014, 19:04

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem with my CH80! I guess it's not as bad as I thought, even though I'd like to know how to fix it!

10th Oct 2014, 21:34

I have been wrenching since age 8, now 54. I love to tinker, and over the years, I have learned a lot.

I have owned over 30 motorcycles since 1984.

Honda Elite, CH80: it is an air cooled, variable speed, 80cc, 4-stroke.

Air cooled = no water pump, radiator, cooling fan, water, or electric sensors, all of which can go bad.

Variable speed = no shifting (there IS a clutch).

80cc = big enough for around town, small enough for high MPG.

4-stroke = no two stoke oil to replenish.

Less than a quart of oil to change the oil.

No oil filter to change, just the screen when you are in there for other reasons.

Tires are inexpensive.

Spark plugs are inexpensive.

Used replacement parts are inexpensive, and if you can't find what you are looking for, Honda still sells 90+% of these parts (can be expensive, but what other choice do you have?)

The only regular maintenance part required is the air filter, and there are aftermarket versions available.

For the money, you really can't beat the performance. Treat them well (don't abuse them), learn to do your own work (search for sites and forums) and don't expect them to perform outside their designed purpose, and you won't be disappointed.

True, they can be cold blooded. It appears to be a design flaw with no sure cure, just workarounds. Be satisfied.

True, they are short on storage, add a box on the rack, a bucket on the floor, or a backpack.

True, you are going to bang the front into things and things are going to break. Do better with your turns.

I have seen odometers with 15, 20 and 25,000 miles when the scooter gets parted. These run a long, LONG, time.

At present, I commute on a 1984 Honda Goldwing Interstate, 1200cc touring bike. I average 42 MPG. I am the second owner. The original owner put 104,000 miles on her. I have put an additional 40,000 miles.

I play ride on a 1975 CB750F powered soft-tail chopper, which was built in 1977. I have completed the bike with period correct pieces I have searched for since purchase in 2003.

My CH80 is a 1994 with 5600 miles. I bought it from a yard which sells donated vehicles. I paid very little.

Clean the tank, the carburetor, replacing missing/broken parts with OEM and used, adding some fresh paint in the original colors (Black and Silver) and she will be ready for sale.

Honestly, it should be illegal to have this much fun in such a little package for so little investment!

Count your blessings you have one of these scooters. They are very durable and will bring a good price when you finally decide to sell.

Ride On. Ride Safe.