1987 Honda Elite CH80 from United States of America - Comments

14th Sep 2011, 12:08

On my Honda CH 80, I leave the side panels off. Push a small rag over the air box intake briefly when cranking for cold starts.

The mileage is a consistent 100 per gallon when not pushed.

I buy used tires for the rear.

It will do 45mph, and 50mph down hill, but I cruise around 40.

A piece of plastic at the correct angle doesn't change these standards, and keeps the wind rain and noise away.

The muffler broke off the exhaust pipe. A small hose clamp over exhaust pipe repair material keeps it quiet and flexible at that vulnerable mid-point.

I would feel better carrying an extra 12 volt gel cell battery for emergency.

I carry stuff in a 5 gallon bucket for portability, held on the floor with bungee cords.

After the inexperience and overconfidence stages, stay focused, and expect cars and even pedestrians not to see you.

15th Mar 2012, 07:25

I cannot thank you enough for this article! A friend is having the exact same problem with his Elite 80. I recommended the larger pilot jet, but knew from his description of the problem, it would not eliminate it entirely. Over the years, I too have admired Honda for advanced thought and 'leading edge' reliability of their products -- but have been a bit disappointed by this particular design. A simple choke lever is not really beyond the ability of many of us. Anyway, THANKS SO MUCH for this!

3rd Jun 2012, 08:39

I have a 1987 Honda Elite 80 and need to know how to take the front tire off, so I can change it? Thanks if you can help me.

6th Jun 2012, 20:26

OK, I finally got tire off and changed. Thanks!

1st Sep 2012, 16:31

My 87 Honda Elite 80cc is doing the same thing as yours. Any suggestions on how you fixed it?

6th Sep 2012, 10:42

No, not at all. I bought mine with 13k miles on it for $775. It's a Honda and they are hard to kill.

19th Nov 2013, 15:25

You need to buy a jet kit. In winter, the air is more dense, I.E. more O2 per CFM; that means you need a bigger jet air:fuel.

7th Apr 2014, 19:04

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem with my CH80! I guess it's not as bad as I thought, even though I'd like to know how to fix it!

Add another comment

Note: A Comments RSS Feed is available.